Need advice on transmission

2thman

giggle gas expert
Established Member
My car's trans is offically fried. It is a major effort to get it into any gear. I'm taking to the dealer on Mon. I have changed the trans lube to Redline D4. Should I drain the Redline and put the stock (whatever it is?) trans oil back in. Hate to waste the d4, but dealer saying "no repair you have modified your trans" kinda scares me. Need some advice. Thanks

jason

finally

Established Member
Sorry to hear that Jason, I'm waiting for my new trans to come in. Should be this week. Which dealer did you take it to?

Cobra'03

Established Member
Originally posted by 2thman
My car's trans is offically fried. It is a major effort to get it into any gear. I'm taking to the dealer on Mon. I have changed the trans lube to Redline D4. Should I drain the Redline and put the stock (whatever it is?) trans oil back in. Hate to waste the d4, but dealer saying "no repair you have modified your trans" kinda scares me. Need some advice. Thanks

jason

To answer your question, do not bother. First, if there are "damaged" metals in the fluid, you want it to stay in there or it will look suspicious. 2nd, the D4 meets Mercon V/Dex II specs, actually exceeds them. 3rd, I have never submitted an oil analysis and had it come back with "this is a synoil", let alone "this is Red Line D4" - they are looking for its properties.

I do not totally understand the rest of your question - I hate to waste the D4. If your transmission is "fried", they will repair or replace it, both of which will require replacement of the fluid. Are you planning to drain the D4, save it, and re-install it in the repaired/replaced tranny? That seems like a false economy to me. Start fresh, and hope for better luck.

2thman

giggle gas expert
Established Member
Paul,
Im taking to Shad(op) on Mon, I got in touch with Chad thx.

Need,
5k miles. I drive it hard.

cobra'03,
Your point is well taken. Im not gonna drain it. thx

jason

ChrisFLL

Established Member
Jason, I bought my car from Mike Shad in Orange Park. Are you using their service dept or the Shad at the Avenues? Any opinions on the quality of work? or their staff?

Thanks.

finally

Established Member
ChrisFLL, I bought my car there and have had great service there. They are not to anal about mods either. They told me that unless it's a pulley or chip that "caused" the problem, they would fix it. Even said that if I broke a halfshaft at the strip they would replace it! I took my car in for transmission noise about 2 weeks ago and they ordered me a new tranny, should be in this week. They have great head of the line privaleges for SVT customers. Any time I might have had to leave the car, even for just a few hours they have had a rent- a-car there for me no problem. Very good overall.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread