Need Advice

SnakeEyes03

MTC
Established Member
Ok guys here's the deal. As you all know, I purchased at 2001 Audi S4 about 6 months ago. About 2 months ago I had to put $1k into it for a $25 part. Well, about 1 week ago my check engine light came on. Of course I hate seeing that damn thing, so I took it the next day to the dealership garage. Come to find out...its my converters, O2 sensor, and Gas sensor.

Here's where I need the advice. To fix the car will be as follows:

1. Coverters x 2 $1500 each
2. O2 (covered under warranty) $100
3. Gas sensor $25 not under warranty
4. Labor 10 hours.....$100 an hour

Total.....$4,125.00

I put my tail between my legs and walked out keeping my mouth shut. Well, the next day while I was at work I decided to stop by the dealership. I went in and basically vented to the guy who sold me the car (the manager). He asked for me to give him a couple days to figure stuff out.

I just recieved a call from him stating that he can do a couple things. They can help out paying for the parts. Or they can give me $12k for the car and I can get another car. I bought the car for $14k. It has 83k miles on it.

What would you do???

Last edited:

Evan5469

Established Member
Personally I would sell it back to them. Fixing an Audi, or really any higher end German car isn't cheap as you're finding out and it appears that your warranty isn't covering hardly any of the problems you're having with it.

If it was me I'd take the $12K they gave me and just get something more reliable and cheaper to repair.

281DOHC

Established Member
Well I Can Bet The 2000 They Made Off You Will Be All They Spend To Fix The Thing. Do You Owe On The Car Or Would You Be Pocketing The 12k, If So Id Let Them Have The Car And Go By A Cheap Beater And Keep The Change. Get A Beater Thats Cheap To Fix Though

Redneckbmxer24

Established Member
even if you do keep it, its still a audi, and will only need something else.

you could look in the aftermarket, and see whats available for it. i would also check audiworld for stock cat pipes, somebody could be going from stock.

1500 per cat is ****ing outrageous.

i would drive the car up their ass to be honest, lol.

F8LBITEva

Alexis Texas' #1 fan
Established Member
Tell him you will take 14K for it and sell it back to them, or you will get legal advice.

Ken

He is legal advice! Mike take the $12k and get something else, its got close to 100k on the clock if not now then later something pricy will break. BTW do you have to buy something from the same joint if they do buy it back?

Last edited:

SnakeEyes03

MTC
Established Member
Thanks for the advice guys.

Ya I tried to go the federal emmissions route. However, it is 8 years 80k miles, so I was out of it 3k miles ago.

And ya Jose, they are saying I have to buy from them again. We shall see. They only have a couple cars im interested in. G35 coupe, and Acura TL

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
I say call them and tell them youll bring it in, on lets say a monday afternoon. Then beat the shit out of the car all weekend and sell it back to them. :burnout: Get something that you like.... :beer:

wheelhopper

Established Member
Why could'nt you go to an aftermarket exhaust shop and get some converters installed?

1. $100 per converter
2. o2 still under warranty, $100
3. gas sensor, $25
4. 10 hours labor at $65 an hour

Total $975. And I bet that it is not going to be 10 hours.

RedfireBeast

MACA Member #29
Established Member
Tell them you want 13k not 12k they will be expecting this anyways thats why they said 12k. Keep in mind if you get that you did drive the car for 6 months. Cut your lose and get out.

Redneckbmxer24

Established Member
and tell them you dont want another POS from them either.

G35's are pretty reliable cars. though. but a little expensive.

why not just get another cobra?

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
G35 (if it has the spoiler). :rockon:

Mike, you didn't say if you owe on the Audi. I know you're smart enough to have known going into this that they aren't the cheapest cars to maintain. But this is a large bite very soon after buying it. Many Audis go on to live happy, healthy lives, with some $$$ invested to keep them going. How much do you like the car? I kept dumping $$$ into my 1990 T-Bird SuperCoupe because I loved it, but finally realized I'd love the Cobra just as much, and it would be more wallet friendly. If you think you might enjoy the G35 as much, I'd really consider that, if it wasn't much over the $12,000 they'd give you. But if you really like the Audi, I'd check out what Doug suggested, and see about finding a shop to do the work other than the dealer.

Good luck with your choice.

Users who are viewing this thread