Need Air Filter.....

sflrainmaker01

Established Member
I finally got my 2011 Kona Blue GT500 SVTPP coupe delivered Saturday night @ 10:30pm. Cleaned and drove that baby all day Sunday. I took it to Ford on Monday, just to have them check it over and do an oil change (car has 34kmiles), just so I have a baseline and know that under and around the car everything is good to go. All checked out fine. However, it still has the original air filter that is dirty. I have been eyeing a JLT air intake and filter anyway. Is this a good route to go? I see that there are options to have the intake "painted" certain colors. Does that really hold up?

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Believe it or not, my car came with an oiled Air-raid (sp?) air filter. That was the first thing I took off, and put a nice stock one back one.

C.Stanley

Infidel
Established Member
JLT will be the way to go when you decide you upgrade, however you will need a tune when installing. I would buy or clean your current filter until you decide your first few mods. For most are intake, pulley, idler, exhaust and tune which really wakes the car up. When you buy the intake you will need to buy a Tuning device (SCT x4 ect ...) so sometimes it is better to purchase as a package rather than but 1 thing at a time. VMP have some nice packages, check them out. Also congrats on your purchase.

sflrainmaker01

Established Member
I'd figure I would start off with the JLT and tuner (with tune, of course). Especially, since I bought this car so I wouldn't have to "mod" it lol. But, I would like (and need to) hear the blower whine a little louder, sooner in the RPM range. I know this may sound stupid, but, will the JLT allow me to hear more of that lovely blower whine?

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Doing an intake first will be a waste of money as the stocker is good til 650whp. Get an AiRaid filter and pulley/tune that thing to hear the blower whine. Bigger intake will create zero power on a stock blower car and I've ran a ton of different setups.

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
Doing an intake first will be a waste of money as the stocker is good til 650whp. Get an AiRaid filter and pulley/tune that thing to hear the blower whine. Bigger intake will create zero power on a stock blower car and I've ran a ton of different setups.

It's a small part to the big picture, why waste money on an air raid filter when he's going to need the intake down the road. It's one of the cheaper mods and a good place to start.

C.Stanley

Infidel
Established Member
I'd figure I would start off with the JLT and tuner (with tune, of course). Especially, since I bought this car so I wouldn't have to "mod" it lol. But, I would like (and need to) hear the blower whine a little louder, sooner in the RPM range. I know this may sound stupid, but, will the JLT allow me to hear more of that lovely blower whine?

No it will not as it is only helping the air intake. A smaller pulley, 90mm idler and JLT will make it whine.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
It's a small part to the big picture, why waste money on an air raid filter when he's going to need the intake down the road. It's one of the cheaper mods and a good place to start.

That's still the wrong place to start imo of the "big picture". So many other worth while mods to do with better performance gain, he could enjoy a pulley/tune, do some cooling mods, exhaust, tb etc. over the next 2 years and by then it's time for a new filter anyways. I would save that for a bigger blower swap, I've seen guys go from a tune stock blower to a bigger intake and lose power so it's not the first place to start. But hey, the bigger intake does look cool.

Last edited:

sflrainmaker01

Established Member
That's still the wrong place to start imo of the "big picture". So many other worth while mods to do with better performance gain, he could enjoy a pulley/tune, do some cooling mods, exhaust, tb etc. over the next 2 years and by then it's time for a new filter anyways. I would save that for a bigger blower swap, I've seen guys go from a tune stock blower to a bigger intake and lose power so it's not the first place to start. But hey, the bigger intake does look cool.

Remember, the only reason I am considering doing this mod first is because the original 2011 (with 34k mile) air filter needs changing. If I am going to buy a new filter, it just seemed to make sense buying the whole intake etc instead of just changing out the original air filter. I haven't ruled out the pulley swap. I just wondered which setup most use and would give me the best bang for the buck. I don't want to ride around too much with this dirty filter. From what I have read and watched, it seems that just adding the JLT Big Air and a tune adds to the performance of the car. I need to get a SCT anyway. A package deal seems to be the most practical idea. But, then, I have to figure out what size pulley (crank or not, 2.5 or 2.6 or some combination of the two etc) and then probably an dual fan heat exchanger. For now, I really like the way the car sounds with the stock exhaust. I do want some more whine bad, though....

C.Stanley

Infidel
Established Member
I can send you a pulley, idler and JLT whine video I did if you want. I had exhaust as well but you can tell about the whine with those mods. Pm phone # If interested

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
I've never been a fan of the oiled filters on street cars (off road / dirt different story). Cleaning them, and the fact that you can never get all the dirt out, are the main reasons. I like buying a new OEM ($60), and tossing it in the garbage vs. trying to clean it. As stated above, good for 650hp at least. VMP did a test of a filter change only, and it netted 3hp.

Users who are viewing this thread