Need brake help quick please

jamescb77

Established Member
Ok guys heres the deal. I had a baer 14" big brake kit on the car. It's been on there since i bought it. Last night i took it all of and put the stock cobra brakes back on. With the car off we bled the system until a solid stream of fluid comes out. Heres is where the problem is. Once you start the car there is absolutely no pedal. I mean nothing until you hit the very bottom. The brake light is on on the dash but not the ABS light. Whats the issue here guys? someone help the car is suppose to leave tonight as it has been sold but i can't let it go with no brakes. thanks everyone

jamescb77

Established Member
I forgot this part. We pressed the calipers open to get th epads and everything in there like you would do on a normal brake job. However the pads are closing down on the rotor at all. I mean at all. Do you think the calipers are bad. I could see on being bad but both i just don't see. Any help guy i really need to get this thing up and going tonight.

jamescb77

Established Member
the system wasn't ran dry i know there was always fluid in there. I just got off the phone with Baer and they said their kit uses a smaller master cylinder which is why there is no pedal pressure. I just ordered a new MC 60 bucks from autozone which wasn't bad. Im gonna swap that out tonight and rebleed the holy hell out of everything and see what we get.

04RedfireVert

Is it Friday yet?
Established Member
Have you tried bleeding the master cylinder? ( Those bleeder screws on the side) When I changed the brake lines on my wife's car we couldn't get a good pedal until I bled those. Just a thought.

jamescb77

Established Member
I Haven't tried bleeding the MC but i will tonight before i try putting the new one on. The guy with Baer was pretty confident in the MC being wrong to match the big brakes. If anyone else has an idea please let me know. I need to get this car running tonight.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
The amount of time it typically takes to change calipers is usually enough for the master cylinder to get air in it.

The bubbles move right up through the brake hose and lines during the swap.

I doubt the original guy who put the 14" kit on ever took off the Cobra M/C, most 4 piston 14" kits don't need it changed.

Why are you taking the 14" brakes off? Going drag racing?

jamescb77

Established Member
I sold the car and the guy that bought it didn't want it so we worked a deal with the stock brakes. Ill try bleeding the MC before i do anything else but i bought a new MC just in case it does have a different one in it. 60 bucks is far better than letting it sit another night and I can always return it.

jamescb77

Established Member
Well guy i thought i would follow up with the fix. It was a serious amoutn of air in the MC. i couldn't believe how much air had worked it's way up there. bleed it out and it was as good as new.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Well guy i thought i would follow up with the fix. It was a serious amoutn of air in the MC. i couldn't believe how much air had worked it's way up there. bleed it out and it was as good as new.

Thank you for posting your resolution, and not because I enjoy hearing about being right. It really does help all the new guys when they do a search in years to come and actually see what corrected certain set of trouble symptoms.:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread