Need brake help!

Socom688

Cobra > All other cars..
Established Member
I replaced my rotors and brake pads, and in the process I took off my calipers to paint them while I was installing the rotors and pads.

After I put the rotors back on, changed the pads, and reinstalled the calipers, I proceeded to bleed the brakes, using the bleed bolt on the calipers.

I went from passenger rear, driver rear, passenger front then finished with driver front. The lines cleared of dirty fluid, and air (at least from what I could see). I waited until my entire tube was filled with fresh fluid before I tightened the bleeder bolt. My reservoir always had fluid in it when I was bleeding the calipers.

My materials:
Empty water bottle filled with half brake fluid
Clear silicon tube
proper sized wrenches.

I connected the tube to the bleeder bolt, and the other end inside the bottle, had someone pump the brakes, then I turned the bolt to bleed them.

I am 99% sure I did everything right, but the brakes are still soft and spongey as if air was in the system. My rear passenger brake BARELY stopped the wheel from turning...

I dont know what to do, any advice?!@?$:fm::cuss::mj:

Sap

Established Member
Either you have a leak in one of the hoses or you are loosing the bolts too much letting air back into the system.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
have you started the car at all yet?

i remember i had one car do this (think my 1g GSX) and i was freaking out thinking something was wrong. Started the car and it firmed up to better than normal.

4valvemach

Established Member
1.have someone pump brake pedal three times and hold pressure on the pedal
2.open bleeder valve pedal will go to floor
3.hold pedal on floor and close bleeder valve

REPEAT
1.pump and hold
2.open bleeder
3.hold pedal on floor close bleeder

Socom688

Cobra > All other cars..
Established Member
Yeah I turned on the car and the pedal was mushy still.

I followed those steps, to no avail. I did, however, find out that my driver rear bleeder valve was stripped... maybe that has something to do with it? Anyway, Advance Discount auto parts didnt have the right bleeder, so I am just going to take it to a brake place tomorrow so they can deal with it. I now don't have the time to work on it...

A 1 outta 10 job on the difficulty scale has turned into a .. 1387432985 outta 10:nonono:

Sap

Established Member
Bleeding brakes can take some time, especially if you have lots of air in there. Even a couple bubbles can make the pedal feel squishy.

Its generally worth while to have a shop bleed your brakes if your having a hard time getting the bubbles out, they do it day in and day out and generally have secret techniques.

Users who are viewing this thread