Need clarification on ATI balancer

Sick SVT

Established Member
So my local track wont let me pass tech below 11.5 since I dont have an sfi balancer. I was looking into the ATI one and am getting all sorts of confused. I have the metco lower setup. It was my understanding that I could go with the ati part # 918036 and use the specific metco adapter with this balancer. I called ATI and they told me they dont have a balancer that will work with the 03 cobra which didnt make sense to me. Anyone have any clarification for me or is using the ATi with metco setup? My other option is the IW but the ATI will be $100 cheaper.

ctgreddy

Established Member
I think IW is the only option for you. But it really sucks because IW balancers are not very good. We had some of our own testing done at my work a couple years ago, a company was using our engine dyno to test the stock balancer, an IW and an ati on a modular longblock. the stocker was good thru the entire rpm range, the ati was just as good as stock in lower rpm's but way better at rpm's above 4k. the IW was terrible everywhere. To the point where the guys doing the test thought it had to be bad so ordered a second IW balancer and the other one gave the same results.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
This is the response I received from Rick at Metco:

We do not sell the ATI damper, but we manufacture an ATI-specific hub to fit their balancer for the Cobra application. The ATI balancer uses a unique offset and bolt pattern, so our MCH4001 crank hub is needed. The cost is $139.99, and it ships with the (3) bolts. These hubs are in stock and can ship any time.

Sick SVT

Established Member
This is the response I received from Rick at Metco:

We do not sell the ATI damper, but we manufacture an ATI-specific hub to fit their balancer for the Cobra application. The ATI balancer uses a unique offset and bolt pattern, so our MCH4001 crank hub is needed. The cost is $139.99, and it ships with the (3) bolts. These hubs are in stock and can ship any time.

Thanks for the info. I called ATI though and they dont show a part # for the cobra. Im looking to find out what the part # is that the Metco hub works with.

Users who are viewing this thread