need dimension from those with lakewoods.

03stx

Established Member
I have a bunch of metal laying around and I was going to try and make a set of slapper bars like the lakewoods, but i need a couple of dimensions from you guys that have a set of lakewoods. Could someone let me know what the two dimensions are from the top of the plate to the top of the bar. Thanks

lak-21715_w.jpg

Last edited:

77mirage

Established Member
I have mine coming to me this weekend for my birthday, so if nobody chimes in with the dimensions before then, I'll give them to you. I had a friend who made a set of them a few years back for his lightning, and they worked great at a fraction of the cost. He's got too much going on right now for him to make me a set, so I'm getting the Lakewoods as a gift.

Skoalman

Banned
The first piece is four and a half inches long (from weld to weld), and the second is three inches long, (from weld to weld). The first one is behind tha axle and the second is in front of it.

The overall length of the piece with the snubber on it is thirty six inches.

bar1xg8.jpg

bar3fa1.jpg

Last edited:

bamaRed

BAMA-LOC
Established Member
thats a good idea, i have been thinking of making a set as well.
my idea was to have a bottom bracket for the axle, weld that on, both sides, and just make some adjustable control rods/ or fixed ones not sure yet/ and go from there. it would be easy to just get some poly bushings inside some tube and drill and tap a grease fitting in to that. so i guess the hardes part would be pieceing it all together.
good idea, and cost alot less, i seen those metco ones for around 500 or more, but they would do the same thing.

so is this what your buddy made? wish you could post some pix.

Skrapmetal

Established Member
If you make your own, make them a little longer than the Lakewoods so they hit on the eye of the spring like they're supposed to.

03stx

Established Member
I made some this weekend. I just can't decide on either gloss red or gloss black. I will be painting the calipers gloss red so I thought they might look good together. What do you think?

IMG_4234small.jpg

Albuquerque ALI

im a bad man!!!!!!
Established Member
Skoalman said:
The first piece is four and a half inches long (from weld to weld), and the second is three inches long, (from weld to weld). The first one is behind tha axle and the second is in front of it.

The overall length of the piece with the snubber on it is thirty six inches.

bar1xg8.jpg

bar3fa1.jpg
why is the end of your lakewoods so far away from your L spring, mine are close to the L spring....?

03stx

Established Member
I finally got the T-bars installed. I added a little SVT logo to them. They fit perfectly and seem to really help out on my launch. I'm still unsure about the red but I will see what it all looks like once I get my calipers painted red. Now I just need to go out there and wash and clay bar the truck.

thoughts?

IMG_4246.jpg

IMG_4248.jpg

IMG_4250.jpg

WhiteBolt

Engine Master
Established Member
03stx said:
I heard hitting the eye of the springs creates a bumpy ride.
After time, the leaf can develop a permanent "s" bend where the snubber hits. The further forward you can make the snubber, the better.

03stx

Established Member
WhiteBolt said:
After time, the leaf can develop a permanent "s" bend where the snubber hits. The further forward you can make the snubber, the better.

I put mine as far forward as possible. It hits right before the eye of the springs. If I move it any further forward, it will hit my exhaust tips. Right now it is only about 1/4-1/2" away from the tips.

WhiteBolt

Engine Master
Established Member
03stx said:
I put mine as far forward as possible. It hits right before the eye of the springs. If I move it any further forward, it will hit my exhaust tips. Right now it is only about 1/4-1/2" away from the tips.
Ok..I see that in your pictures. That position looks ok.
You'll have to have some monster traction and torque to bend anything with that setup.

Users who are viewing this thread