Need fast replys, dragging tonight for first time!

drews01cobra

I fly really low....
Established Member
Already dragged - Need fast replys, dragging tonight for first time

Tonight I will be dragging my car at Sacramento Raceway Park for the first time. Based on my cobra info in my sig, anyone got any tips on how I should run her? Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place and yes, I plan on getting some pics and maybe a vid if the wife works the camera right (it would be a first) and I will post them.

Last edited:

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
don't be mad if it breaks

shift at 7k, and ride the clutch out on the launch...have fun

and if you are on reg street tires don't do a burnout, just clean them off with a quick spin

JDrake

Established Member
it was my first time the last friday, dont be nervous, its fun as hell once you get ur slip. i launched at 2800rpm slipping the clutch and feathering the throttle. What tires are you running? streets will spin no matter what. i shifted at 6250rpm, the FWA and clutch quadrant will really help you slam throught those gears. heres my first time thread, http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/new-edge-cobras-51/593635-first-time-track-video.html, good luck have fun!

JDrake

Established Member
^^^ why in gods name did you shift so low?

cuz after 6250 my engine falls on its face lol

003.jpg

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
yeah you TQ is but your car was still making power

i always got my best ETs shifting at 7k on the 1-2 and 2-3

JDrake

Established Member
yeah you TQ is but your car was still making power

i always got my best ETs shifting at 7k on the 1-2 and 2-3

well i trapped at 111mph so its the start that is the problem for me, ill try shifting later next track day, see what happens, i only shift there cuz the guys at prodyno told me to.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
well i trapped at 111mph so its the start that is the problem for me, ill try shifting later next track day, see what happens, i only shift there cuz the guys at prodyno told me to.

next time you go there tell him a dyno has never won a race...ever!

drews01cobra

I fly really low....
Established Member
don't be mad if it breaks

shift at 7k, and ride the clutch out on the launch...have fun

and if you are on reg street tires don't do a burnout, just clean them off with a quick spin

it was my first time the last friday, dont be nervous, its fun as hell once you get ur slip. i launched at 2800rpm slipping the clutch and feathering the throttle. What tires are you running? streets will spin no matter what. i shifted at 6250rpm, the FWA and clutch quadrant will really help you slam throught those gears. heres my first time thread, http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/new-edge-cobras-51/593635-first-time-track-video.html, good luck have fun!

Thanks guys...slip it and stick it! I'll post my results when I get back tonight.

Jamie R.

Established Member
You will want to slip the clutch coming out, start out at 2,500 to 2,800. Don't be nervous about going higher, I think I ended up close to 4grand on the stock gear. If the car hops let off the gas immediately. On street tires go around the burnout box and avoid it. Try not to let the car bog if you can because a bog kills these cars, especially with the stock gear. Shift the car at 6800. Oh yeah, don't let your foot off the gas pedal;-) Good luck!

Jamie R.
'01 Silver Cobra on the Cover of MM&FF's August '07 Issue

drews01cobra

I fly really low....
Established Member
You will want to slip the clutch coming out, start out at 2,500 to 2,800. Don't be nervous about going higher, I think I ended up close to 4grand on the stock gear. If the car hops let off the gas immediately. On street tires go around the burnout box and avoid it. Try not to let the car bog if you can because a bog kills these cars, especially with the stock gear. Shift the car at 6800. Oh yeah, don't let your foot off the gas pedal;-) Good luck!

Jamie R.
'01 Silver Cobra on the Cover of MM&FF's August '07 Issue

Thanks Jamie for the step by step. I'll post my results tonight when i get back.

Nazman

Established Member
First time out! Great!

1. Have Fun!!
2. Check your fluids: Engine Oil & Cooling
3. Check your wheel lug nuts for proper TQ (100FT LBS).
4. Ensure your Batt is properly secured.
5. Follow the track rules, wait and only move to the staging beams when told to do so, burn out when told to do so, etc.
6. DO NOT run your AC!! You will get kicked out the track!
7. Do no drive thru the water with your front tires, or your back tires if they are standard street tires or deep groved DRs. Just back into and get them damp if they are drag radials, avoid water on street tires.
8. Do not worry about reation times, they have no effect on MPH or ET.
9. Bring a helmet or be prepared to rent one.
10. Your first time out, launch her nice and easy to get a feel for the track, car, etc.
11. Shift her as close to 7000RPMs.
12. If IRS on stock 1/2 shafts....dont let her hop!
13. If if breaks.......build it stronger!
14. Have FUN!

Naz

Last edited:

drews01cobra

I fly really low....
Established Member
First time out! Great!

1. Have Fun!!
2. Check your fluids: Engine Oil & Cooling
3. Check your wheel lug nuts for proper TQ (100FT LBS).
4. Ensure your Batt is properly secured.
5. Follow the track rules, wait and only move to the staging beams when told to do so, burn out when told to do so, etc.
6. DO NOT run your AC!! You will get kicked out the track!
7. Do no drive thru the water with your front tires, or your back tires if they are standard street tires or deep groved DRs. Just back into and get them damp if they are drag radials, avoid water on street tires.
8. Do not worry about reation times, they have no effect on MPH or ET.
9. Bring a helmet or be prepared to rent one.
10. Your first time out, launch her nice and easy to get a feel for the track, car, etc.
11. Shift her as close to 7000RPMs.
12. If IRS on stock 1/2 shafts....dont let her hop!
13. If if breaks.......build it stronger!
14. Have FUN!

Naz

Hellava post Naz. Thank you very much. Of course some Nazty ported intakes is on the to do list, alas I am but a humble servant of the people and I must wait until next year's tax refund! Once again, thanks.

drews01cobra

I fly really low....
Established Member
Well, just a quick reply. I sucked......On my first run, reaction time was .410, missed third from second and went straight to fifth! Ran 15.251 at 84.185 mph. On my second run, reaction time was .268, I anticipated the shift from first to second and pulled it out of gear. Ran 15.236 at 96.313 mph. As you can see, I recovered and got my speed up. On my third run, reaction time was .499, shifted easy and just stuck the pedal in each gear. ran 14.897 at 96.792 mph. I'm not gonna make any excuses here. I ran my best time when I settled down, slowed my shift and didn't fight that shifter. I'll learn and get better. Problem with throw out bearing, so a new clutch will have to be next. Thanks to everybody for the tips. Wife shot some vid, I'll work on getting it up tomorrow after I get some sleep.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Don't worry about your reaction time until you enter a race. Practice it, but don't let it screw up your run.

What were your 60' times? That is the tell-tell sign of a good launch.

Users who are viewing this thread