need feedback on twin disc

97ttsnake

Established Member
hi all, i got a twin 58mm turbo cobra that put down some torque, then i end up with a t56 magnum last summer with a spec3+, the t56 is what i think made me love the that car, but the clutch is what made me hate it, she dont hold down my low timming low boost tune and i want to crank it up, i look at a 4r70w swap but i better like to keep it like it is now, i just need something to hold down somewhere 800ft/tq at the wheel, i look at the dyad from cf or the rxt from mcleod

i need to made up my mind on wich one to get so i need feed back

thanks in advance for your time and input on the twin disc world:beer:

sleepermobile2

Established Member
I have the rxt clutch and its been flawless. Now I'm not making crazy torque like you only the 500 range. I also use the t56 magnum wide ratio and yes it's a great transmission. The clutch has been great at the track, and the street. I've driven from Michigan to Florida with it and never an issue. I've used the spec 3 clutch in my other cobra, it was NOT as nice. The rxt is smooth and the peddal is effortless.....you for sure need to break it in for the first 500 miles, you will feel a drastic change when it breaks in. I've beat this clutch and it just keeps working perfect. I've launched at 5000 rpms and the clutch doesn't break; other parts do.......when you install the clutch its a little tricky but done correctly its quiet and smooth smooth smooth..

97ttsnake

Established Member
thanks for your review on the rxt!!! you are not the first to tell me good thing about them, i like what people told me about them, but i like the dyad too, 1300lb/tq capable those look to be made for the hard work....i'm now balancing between both

real world feedback about the rxt make's me want one, but the testing chart that centerforce give with each dyad make me want one too..but i can't find feedback on them after a certain amount of time, only install vid and centerforce comercial are available on the internet...

sleepermobile2

Established Member
thanks for your review on the rxt!!! you are not the first to tell me good thing about them, i like what people told me about them, but i like the dyad too, 1300lb/tq capable those look to be made for the hard work....i'm now balancing between both

real world feedback about the rxt make's me want one, but the testing chart that centerforce give with each dyad make me want one too..but i can't find feedback on them after a certain amount of time, only install vid and centerforce comercial are available on the internet...[/QUOTE.

Not sure many people need a clutch that's rated at 1300 lb of torque ?? I know they're not cheap....... Probably over kill for most cars, probably $$$ spent on tires or ???

97ttsnake

Established Member
well the price between the rxt the dyad and the act twin are like 2-300 in difference, i got some local feedback on the act and they seems to hold great too, but after looking at a mcleod video description on youtube and seeing the guy telling that they are NOT built for race purpose...this kill my boner loll

from where i'm at now, price close like that, the money is not the major factor, but the quality and efficiency of the product

act twin 1450lbtq is about 1500-1700$
dyad 1300lbtq 1500$
mcleod somewhere at 1200$ for a 1000hp, i don't find the tq rate

whitevenum

Auto 1000whp= Insanity
Established Member
Go spec twin disc, most comfortable clutch i ever had and i tryed them all before i went auto. They last forever aswell.

itSSlow98

Established Member
Rxt ftw. But after driving my car for the first time yesterday with a th400 you couldn't pay me enough to put a t56 back in the car.

97ttsnake

Established Member
i know how automatic would be great, but i'm not done with the manual, i will run it one more season like this and next winter i will swap it automatic, i almost decide my self about doing it this year but baby is on the way, my wife is due mid march so i just go easy on the budget for the cobra this year, i know selling the magnum will pay more than half of the swap, but money is not the major thing, time play a lot too, i dont want to spend time to fix little thing on the car, right now it just need a better clutch and i'm good to go

whitevenom by chance have you try the dyad? i never had a centerforce before but i bet those little weight on the pusherplate could only do good thing.. i guess...

whitevenum

Auto 1000whp= Insanity
Established Member
i know how automatic would be great, but i'm not done with the manual, i will run it one more season like this and next winter i will swap it automatic, i almost decide my self about doing it this year but baby is on the way, my wife is due mid march so i just go easy on the budget for the cobra this year, i know selling the magnum will pay more than half of the swap, but money is not the major thing, time play a lot too, i dont want to spend time to fix little thing on the car, right now it just need a better clutch and i'm good to go

whitevenom by chance have you try the dyad? i never had a centerforce before but i bet those little weight on the pusherplate could only do good thing.. i guess...

If your already thinking of going auto than save your money. Twin Disc clutchs are expensive and that money can go towards the new auto. Trust me when i say this there is nothing nicer, faster or more comfortable than a high hp auto trans car. I was all about the 6 speed myself and once i went auto in my cobra for one i wanted to hit myself for spending so much money on a crazy dogbox setup with a new spec twindisc, two i never want to drive a stick again. Doing the swap took Freddie Brown 2 weeks to do after protorque took a month to build me my custom torque converter. So save yourself all the BS and just go AUTO!! If you want a badass 3 speed with O/D like in my cobra call freddie brown transmissions. Tell him you know me and want some discounts he'll hook you up.
But as for twin discs why i like spec, they are the lightest, strongest, smoothest most comfortable twin discs on the market and they hold stupid power. All the others chatter or make noise. The clutch paddle isnt as smooth. stuff like that

stangfreak

Established Member
I had a spec twin disc on my cobra and removed it right away. The noise it made, the chatter, clunks, it was wild. I know it wasn't the installation because steve at mustang magic did it. stevie knows his shit. so its not installation. I made Justin from Huntington transmission, one the BEST in the industry, drive my car with the spec twin disc, and he said the clutch and ride was terrible.

I have had many spec clutches, from the 2, 3+, etc. I had them. I now have the 3+ again. I think there are better options for a twin disc.

This was just my experience. Im not saying all spec twin discs are bad. BUT, if you do a search, the spec twin disc has more negatives comments than good. again, not all of them, are bad.

But if you have a turbo car, you need an auto. auto + turbo = win. It will be hard for anyone to beat you on the street and track.

stangfreak

Established Member
Keep in mind it will be harder to find a streetable clutch once you get into the high hp range. many 6 speed guys, just kept breaking there transmissions over and over, replcing clutches, and all the pain in the ass little problems that comes with a stick car. I.e. adjustments etc. auto ftw

whitevenum

Auto 1000whp= Insanity
Established Member
I had a spec twin disc on my cobra and removed it right away. The noise it made, the chatter, clunks, it was wild. I know it wasn't the installation because steve at mustang magic did it. stevie knows his shit. so its not installation. I made Justin from Huntington transmission, one the BEST in the industry, drive my car with the spec twin disc, and he said the clutch and ride was terrible.

I have had many spec clutches, from the 2, 3+, etc. I had them. I now have the 3+ again. I think there are better options for a twin disc.

This was just my experience. Im not saying all spec twin discs are bad. BUT, if you do a search, the spec twin disc has more negatives comments than good. again, not all of them, are bad.

But if you have a turbo car, you need an auto. auto + turbo = win. It will be hard for anyone to beat you on the street and track.

That sounds like an install problem. You must of caught steve on a bad day. Twin discs are difficult to align and thats just some of there horror stories. Can say i know at least 4-5 high hp cars with spec twin discs that came from different clutchs themself and they will never use a different clutch. One needed reinstall because is wasnt right. Also dont know when you installed yours, specs new twin disc clutchs are amazing. All in all **** this 6 speed bs OP just go auto. And sorry you had a bad experience with mustang magic stangfreak. Steve no longer works there.

97ttsnake

Established Member
well i can leave my car like it is too...the 3+ hold if i do speed shift, but that mean no wot shift and no 2 step thats for shure...but hey, the car wont go away, i just have to be gentle with him this year and next year will be payback time, i better like to take care of my baby and my wife than that damn car, i wont spend time on the auto swap by now, so it will stay on the ice, its a good thing too because i wont hurt the magnum with the 3+, worts scenario, i spend 1500-1800$ on a twin disc and then after i broke the magnum...not shure i will be sssoooo happy...

whitevenum

Auto 1000whp= Insanity
Established Member
Thats the best plan. Just hold off and when your ready go auto. Enjoy the car as is, dont go to crazy with it so at least you can sell some parts that are still in good condition.

stangfreak

Established Member
That sounds like an install problem. You must of caught steve on a bad day. Twin discs are difficult to align and thats just some of there horror stories. Can say i know at least 4-5 high hp cars with spec twin discs that came from different clutchs themself and they will never use a different clutch. One needed reinstall because is wasnt right. Also dont know when you installed yours, specs new twin disc clutchs are amazing. All in all **** this 6 speed bs OP just go auto. And sorry you had a bad experience with mustang magic stangfreak. Steve no longer works there.

I never said I had a bad experience with mustang magic. I have been going there for 11 years. I even stated it in my post I know it wasn't a install problem because steve is one of the best. He built my whole car. Justin from Huntington transmission, the master of transmission work, also verified it was not a bad install. The installation was correct. He removed it piece by piece very carefully and said it was installed perfectly. This is just my experience and nothing more.

I was going to go auto and change the setup but the word on the street is, new York state just got new machines so passing emissions is harder. You need to have all your monitors back on. so you need all the egr stuff, dpfe sensor, etc. My car is going up for sale and im picking up at 89 notchback. That is if I want to go faster.

steve is gone yes. He was/ is my go to guy.

we spoke a bunch of times at mustang magic not sure if you remember me I have the silver cobra. last time I saw your car you had the mammoth on there. I bet its insane now with the turbo and auto. only way to go is auto and turbo. :beer:

whitevenum

Auto 1000whp= Insanity
Established Member
I never said I had a bad experience with mustang magic. I have been going there for 11 years. I even stated it in my post I know it wasn't a install problem because steve is one of the best. He built my whole car. Justin from Huntington transmission, the master of transmission work, also verified it was not a bad install. The installation was correct. He removed it piece by piece very carefully and said it was installed perfectly. This is just my experience and nothing more.

I was going to go auto and change the setup but the word on the street is, new York state just got new machines so passing emissions is harder. You need to have all your monitors back on. so you need all the egr stuff, dpfe sensor, etc. My car is going up for sale and im picking up at 89 notchback. That is if I want to go faster.

steve is gone yes. He was/ is my go to guy.

we spoke a bunch of times at mustang magic not sure if you remember me I have the silver cobra. last time I saw your car you had the mammoth on there. I bet its insane now with the turbo and auto. only way to go is auto and turbo. :beer:

I think i remmeber. You bought Ajs mammoth right? I heard from freddie you were putting in the auto? And yeah man the TT auto with my light weight cobra in crazy!
Yeah about NYstate inspection, dude dont worry about it right now. All the new machines are all fcked up. My father owns a shop he said he went back to the old one for now untill the state fixs all the problems. He said even if this is true, which by the way he says nothing will change with the machine, he said he will figure out a way past it. Im not getting rid of my Cobra and i suggest you dont ether. It'll all be ok.

97ttsnake

Established Member
well i finally know what happen with the spec3+, she was to it`s limit, we tune the car last week with meth, without meth it made 695whp and 630wtq, now made 722/653 on meth so i need to be gentle with the clutch since they are rated to 800tq at the flywheel..... i can`t get more boost now, the car is limited by the clutch, damn.......

Users who are viewing this thread