Need help 2003 vortech gt keeps dying!!!! Help!!

cemeflybyu

Press hard, 5 copies...
Established Member
Heres the deal,

3 weeks ago I installed a V1 S trim with an Si impellar, brand new kit on my GT. I also added 42# injectors, GT ssupercar pump intank and a CX Racing intercooler.

The car already had a 75mm t-body and a professional products aluminum complete lower manifold and upper plenum.

From day 1 I had a bad fluttering issue that I traced back to running a draw thru and the bypass was dumping air back onto the meter, and also was not able to dump enuff so I had pressure going back against the impellaer as well. The car was drivable however and I drove in back and for to work SEVERAL times with no issue.

THEN last week, I go out for dinner, stand on it and the car falls on its face like it is out of gas, popping and cracking...ZERO POWER... I notice my CEL comes on and I have a P0190, 1133, 1153 codes. I cleared them when I got home (the 1133, 1153 codes with o2 sensors) and I never saw the last 2 again.

since that day I keep having the same issue. I swapped out the rail fuel pressure sensor with a spare and the issue remains. When it starts coughing and sputtering, I can shut the car off, refire it and it is fine for a few minutes or until I drop the hammer again then BANG...feels liek it is out of gas again.

I swapped to a PMAS blow thru and a red Procharger bypass and the shudder issue APPEARS to be solved but I still have the orignal issue of the out of gas feeling, and the car losing all power.

The only code I am gettign now is the P0190.

The blower is runing a 3.10 pulley, and a power pipe as well.

I need this figured out ASAP.......HELP HELP HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
Do you have a tune to run with the 42's and the Ford GT pump? If not, you know your running pig rich. Also where is you IAT sensor? It would be best to have that after the IC. What type of plugs are you running? What are they gapped at? Are you building any boost at all? Sorry for some many ? just trying to help you out.

bs46488

Established Member
I think it's got to be with your tune. Before I got my final tune, my car kept stalling like it wasn't getting enough fuel. Now that its all done, it runs smooth.

Also great point about the IAT, my tuner said he wouldn't even strap me to the dyno if it wasn't in the correct location.

2001Snake

It will be fast one day
Established Member
The po190 is bad but in your case I'm pretty sure it's not. It would normally mean your fuel pressure dropped below safe level and you leaned it out. But if it didn't throw a po171-174 then your good. I'd bet it's so rich that the pump can't keep up and the pressure is dropping but it's still getting plenty fuel in even while at low pressure to not be lean. If you have a wide band read it at WOT and see what it says before it falls on it's face. If it's too rich lean it up until you are seeing around 11.3-8. Then I think you'll be good. Let us know what happens.

Maybe this helps man!

Jay

cemeflybyu

Press hard, 5 copies...
Established Member
The IAC is after the IC. Yes on the tune for the 42's. as far as the A/F goes I added a wideband and it is swinging anywhere from 10.8-19.9. When I pull off from a light it swings to the 17-19.9 range.

Timing is still gutted in the car for safety til we can make the 3 hour ride to a dyno.

MY tuner has added tons of fuel across the map but it makes no difference. Its like something is not allowing the computer to do its job. I swapped FRPS and FPDM's, re-ran fuel injection line directly from the pump to the bottom of the hat in the tank to eliminate the pprv. STILL behaves the same.

Still the same code no matter what. Iam borderline of going to a return style, just dont have the money on hand right now to do it. Really aggravating, my vacation is at Mustang week in just a few weeks and the car isnt doing right.

Really crazy too, this is such a simple, common, setup, nothing out of the box about it. I've done several of these cars for myself and customers over the years and NEVER had one do this before.

Pulling my hair out!

Last edited:

2001Snake

It will be fast one day
Established Member
Well if your at 10.8 WOT then that shouldn't be too rich..... Hell I'm just as stumped as you are now!

My 01 had a focus pump with 42's and it was kinda the same thing. It was so rich that the pump couldn't keep up causing the fuel rail pressure to drop. In turn throwing tha po190. When you find out let us know please sir!

Jay

Kellyo77

keep calm and chive on!
Established Member
While the car is running unplug the injectors one at a time and listen to make sure the car runs like crap every time one is unplugged. Should let you know that they are all ok. That is an easy way to do it. Kinda at a loss without the car infront of me. As long as there isn't any intake tubing or bypass hose leaks, I don't really know.

Boosted 03

Established Member
Check your TPS. Also, use a mechanical fuel pressure gauge while driving. Stomp it and see what your fuel pressure is doing. I've also seen cars with low timing run like crap and sputter due to not being able to efficiently burn the fuel and ignite compression. Especialy if your running very rich to start with.

Users who are viewing this thread