Need Help: 95R Fuel Delivery Problem?

StillIntense

Established Member
Experts: need your experience again. Last spring, I replaced the fuel cell in my 95R. Along with the new cell, put in a new 190LPH pump, new filter, and new pressure regulator (Ford stock). Ran great, no problems and had it on the track late spring with no problems.

Recently, I took it out for a hard drive on back roads after it had been sitting for about 45 days (was finishing the LeMons car!). Upon start up, I could hear the fuel pump humming, which I could never hear in the past. Car started easily and ran great. PROBLEM: when accelerating, the car stops taking additional fuel at about 3800 RPM and just stops accelerating. It's as if I held the accelerator at that rpm, even though the gas pedal was planted to the floor. The car accelerates just great up to the point that it hits 3800 rpm and then just won't take more fuel.....idles fine, starts fine.

Any ideas? Can't believe it would be a brand new fuel pump going bad?

Thanks for any ideas....
Mark

Ruslow

Established Member
member 598 is going thru the same problem.He tracked it down to the pump being or resting on the bottom of the cell.Might want to ask him.Have you ck'ed fuel psi when this happens?Stan

93SVTCobra

Established Member
Does it do it only when you have a load on it or can you do it just revving up the engine? Can you hook up a fuel pressure gauge and see what the pressure is when this occurs?

StillIntense

Established Member
It only happens under load Mark. This weekend, I should have the following completed: new alternator, new battery, and fuel pressure checked. If that doesn't fix it, I'll have to check what is going on with the pump, as Ruslow mentions.

golden_eye

All show and no go
Established Member
Not exactly the same application but it may help: My Cobra (5.0L) was doing pretty much the exact same thing that you describe and it ended up being an ignition issue. It completely cleared up after I installed a new cap/rotor, new plugs, and new plug wires. I think it was mainly the plugs as they were way out of gap with only 40,000 miles on the whole car.

StillIntense

Established Member
OK guys, it appears that this problem has been solved. Replaced the battery and alternator (with a 96 Cobra/GT alternator, it was IDENTICAL) and it has eliminated the fuel delivery problem. I can still hear the fuel pump, so I don't know what that means, but it runs right.....
Thanks again for all of your help, saved me a bunch of time and money...
Mark

Users who are viewing this thread