Need help! Car won't go in gear!

01SVTSTANG

Established Member
I've replaced the clutch cable, TOB, shift fork and still no luck. When the car is off I am able to put it in gear no problem, with the car on, I cannot get it in gear whatsoever. I've done searches and some said it could be the shift fork, replaced that and no dice. I have a Centerforce clutch and my clutch pedal usually feels very stiff. Right now it feels soft as if nothing was there. At first I thought it was the clutch cable so I replaced that, and like I said, that didn't work. I did notice the TOB was squeaky so I went ahead and replaced that. I have not taken the bellhousing off to inspect the clutch and flywheel which could very well be the problem, but the clutch hadn't given me any problems at all (I know thats not a reason why it couldn't be bad). I wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem and maybe found something to be the issue besides the clutch and flywheel. Any ideas?

younggun04

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I've replaced the clutch cable, TOB, shift fork and still no luck. When the car is off I am able to put it in gear no problem, with the car on, I cannot get it in gear whatsoever. I've done searches and some said it could be the shift fork, replaced that and no dice. I have a Centerforce clutch and my clutch pedal usually feels very stiff. Right now it feels soft as if nothing was there. At first I thought it was the clutch cable so I replaced that, and like I said, that didn't work. I did notice the TOB was squeaky so I went ahead and replaced that. I have not taken the bellhousing off to inspect the clutch and flywheel which could very well be the problem, but the clutch hadn't given me any problems at all (I know thats not a reason why it couldn't be bad). I wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem and maybe found something to be the issue besides the clutch and flywheel. Any ideas?

Do you have a Aftermarket quadrant and adjuster? if not thats your problem....

younggun04

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
This happened with the double hook quadrant , FWA and adjustable cable. I took that out and put the stock cable back on to see if it would fix anything.

Adjustable cables are junk! I just took one out of my car because it was so dam stiff!

I would try a Fiore quadrant and adjuster. My buddies cobra had the same issues as yours and he got the Fiore pieces for lethal. His car is like butter now..

Jpjr

Established Member
your reverse lockout solenoid is sticking. check the connection and make sure it isn't pinched or frayed or disconnected.

Jpjr

Established Member
your reverse lockout solenoid is sticking. check the connection and make sure it isn't pinched or frayed or disconnected.

if you take off your shifter, you may be able to see the lockout stud engaged which is probably not allowing your shifter to enter any gears.

01SVTSTANG

Established Member
if you take off your shifter, you may be able to see the lockout stud engaged which is probably not allowing your shifter to enter any gears.

I checked all the connections and everything is alright. I'm gonna have to drop the transmission AGAIN and just take a look at everything :nonono:

Jpjr

Established Member
I checked all the connections and everything is alright. I'm gonna have to drop the transmission AGAIN and just take a look at everything :nonono:

this is more obvious, but do you have sufficient fluid? i assume you have checked fluid (fluid poors out the higher check bolt to indicate tranny is full of fluid).

the other thing you should check is for slack in the cable. if your clutch is falling to the floor easily then the cable could be disconnected from the trans.

01SVTSTANG

Established Member
Thank you guys for the help. I went ahead and took the tranny out, dropped the k-member, removed starter, removed passenger side header, and finally the bellhousing and clutch. Turns out the clutch is all messed up. Half of the pads were missing and some even fell off when I was removing the clutch :fm:

VincodeY- It's a centerforce clutch.

Users who are viewing this thread