Need Help Choosing Tires for 18 x 9 and 18 x 10

97RioRed4V

Established Member
I just bought new wheels (18"Chrome 10th Anniversaries):

18 x 10 +22 offset
18 x 9 +24 offset

This is for my 97 Cobra. I have no suspension mods but eventually I will probably get the Eibach Pro- kit. So the tire sizes I was thinking are 295/35R18 rear and 255/40R18 front. This would get me very close to the same diameter front and rear. When I look up Tire Rack a decent priced tire is Continential DW. When I look up Discount Tire a decent priced tire is Nitto Invo. Any suggestions for tire choices or size I don't want to mess with rolling the fenders and pounding anything to make them fit. Please help me. I am dying to get these wheels on!!!!! Thanks!!!

**I forgot to mention. I will finish installing a Vortech V2 this summer. I have 4:10 gears and bassani 2.5 exhaust.

Last edited:

1BD9D7

Rollin down the road in..
Established Member
The tire sizes should be great, it is smart to check the diameter bc it's easy to end up with the rear a little shorter and it will look funny. I have not used either of those tires, nitto 555 tires are great and the 555r is a great hooking tire if you add some power.

LGHTNG02GT

Established Member
good choice in sizes. those are exactly what i have on my Mach 1. what are your plans for the car? mostly DD, track time, ect...?

i visit the track a few times but my car serves mostly street duty so i have BFGoodrich g-force kdw's on the back and bfgoodrich g-force sport comp-2's up front. they are very well mannered and do well in rain, i was actually just caught in a storm this morning and am surprised i didnt hydro-lock.

97RioRed4V

Established Member
The plans are for just for cruising around. May be take it to the track once a year. I might get stuck in the rain once in the while.

Last edited:

97RioRed4V

Established Member
Thanks for the input LGHTNG02GT. Any issue with fitup? I wonder if the fit-up would be the same or different on a sn95 vs new edge body.

LGHTNG02GT

Established Member
Thanks for the input LGHTNG02GT. Any issue with fitup? I wonder if the fit-up would be the same or different on a sn95 vs new edge body.

absolutely zero fitment issues here! no rubbing anywhere, not even up front at full lock ect...i'm lowered on H&R SS's with no iso's in anywhere and my car is daily driven on crappy PA roads. speed bumps are about the only thing that causes problems for me.

with minimal track time, i would say some nitto 555's would probably work good especially if discount tire can get them for you. they are a great company to deal with. i had some 555R's in 285/35R18...never had them in the rain (they were drag radials) but they hooked decent...still, not sure i can personally recommend them for DD duty due to never having them in any crappy weather.

97RioRed4V

Established Member
The Nitto 555 were not available in 295/35r18. The invo and the nt05 is available.

Any other suggestions for tires???

98$vt

i love white girls
Established Member
I have 275/35r18 nitto 555 in front and 295/35zr18 continentals in back on 18x9/10

793A816D-0925-4580-A011-5C9ED9104553_zpslyx6fakz.jpg

97RioRed4V

Established Member
98$vt No rubbings issues with those sizes? What suspension mods do you have. I really like how the 295s fill in the wheel wells.

mustangsvt281

Established Member
I just bought new wheels (18"Chrome 10th Anniversaries):

18 x 10 +22 offset
18 x 9 +24 offset

This is for my 97 Cobra. I have no suspension mods but eventually I will probably get the Eibach Pro- kit. So the tire sizes I was thinking are 295/35R18 rear and 255/40R18 front. This would get me very close to the same diameter front and rear. When I look up Tire Rack a decent priced tire is Continential DW. When I look up Discount Tire a decent priced tire is Nitto Invo. Any suggestions for tire choices or size I don't want to mess with rolling the fenders and pounding anything to make them fit. Please help me. I am dying to get these wheels on!!!!! Thanks!!!

**I forgot to mention. I will finish installing a Vortech V2 this summer. I have 4:10 gears and bassani 2.5 exhaust.

I have nitto nt01 on my car. 275 up front and 315 out back!! I like them

97cobra...

Established Member
uploadfromtaptalk1400466150195.jpg this is how my car looks with chrome 10ths 17x10 with 20 offset the tires are 275's I had no issues with rubbing but there is only about an inch and half between the tires and the quad shock my car is on Eibach Pro Kit

97RioRed4V

Established Member
Do you guys think I need 275 for the front instead of the 255? I will not be autocrossing. If anything I would take it to the drag strip. BTW. Thanks for all the pictures!!!

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Peoria, huh? Maybe I'll run into you sometime. My fiance's family is in Washington and I'm through Peoria all of the time.

Your tire sizes will work fine. Having said that, I have 275's on the front of my car and I wish they were 265's or 255's. The 275's tramline on the roads around here.

And since you're not going to get crazy with how much you plan to lower the car you shouldn't have to mess with the fenders at all.

Last edited:

97RioRed4V

Established Member
Hey tabres! Thanks for the input. We should have a central Illinois Mustang Festivus!

Thanks for the input guys!!

odmarco

Established Member
I replaced the Pirelli Corsas on my Laguna Seca w/ Extreme Contact DW's almost immediately after taking delivery of my Boss. I bought them to have a street tire b/c the Corsas wear way too fast and are basically an R compound tire for the street. the DW's are quiet and have quite a bit of grip. Did a full day of track on them with no issues, probably have a few more track days left in them.
I'd recommend the DW's.

Users who are viewing this thread