Need help drag racing 04 cobra !

ramairfreak98ss

Established Member
Well we've owned the car since 2009, i've never had it to the track. For the last few years, its had Mickey Thompson 315/35/17s on back so it has a chance of hooking up on the street.

Keep in mind, the car isn't driven much, mostly by my girl, so i've only ever driven it maybe 2000 miles on the street, and only once or twice have i ever even gotten on it like im launching from a stop.

Ive drag raced for years, but automatics, FWD... My GTPs are pretty quick and im consistent with them, can run a dozen 12.0s in my one car in one track outing..... pulling 1.7 60 foots.

Last night, i went to Atco in NJ, first time doing a real burnout at the track in the manual car.. and the first run it was sticky and although i had rpms up to 2500-3000, let out on the clutch too quick and just bogged it instantly. The car hopped and i thought it stalled, but it was still running and started rolling, so i put the gas all the way down and the car hardly moved.

Its got a 2.3L whipple, 18-20psi boost, x pipe, exhaust, intake, mass air, fuel system etc... made 610whp before i've added some minor mods to it. Any of you who own a Mustang thats more than 500whp, know they will flat out move. Its scary on the street.

The car had no blower sound and a 16 second car would have probably pulled a few feet on me in 1st gear.... it was so slow, 2.69 60ft, that by 4-5000 rpms, i just let off the gas shifted to second and got back on it, then i heard the blower and it just launched.... The announcer made fun of me because the burnout was pretty good, the launch looked like i took off in 3rd or 4th gear and then it took off like a 600whp car. 13.94@104mph lol

The 2nd run, i tried to start burnout in 2nd... guys said it works better.. stalled it right out. Did burnout in 1st ok again, pulled up, instantly bogged it down "let clutch too fast still", so i immediately let off the gas and then squeezed it back down until about 4k and then hammered it, 2.60 60 ft.... car screeched the DRs for a full second to almost redline, hit 2nd hard, and third... was close to the end and was at 5500-6k rpms, ran out of gear, so even with my bad launches and eating up too much distance, i guess most 04 cobras with stock gears need 4th in the quarter? An improvement [email protected]

The 3rd run, i feathered the clutch out which i thought i had gotten on it hard but now the opposite of bogging it, just floated it too long even though it felt like a descent launch, had it floored and clutch out by 4k, screeching tires a little, nailed 2nd hard, nailed 3rd hard and knowing ill need 4th, shifted to 4th earlier than i would have needed it in the 1st pass, because of the better time down the track, but somehow went from 3rd into 2nd.... ouch :bash: Car went sideways, revved up quick, i stepped back on the clutch, steering left and right 3-4 times, finally got it straightened out, past the 1/4 mile marker but dead center of the track i was so out of whack. I swore for a second it was going into the wall.

I was probably up over 110mph at the time at end of 3rd gear, luckily the little honda behind me was farther behind than i had thought, but he probably let off a little when i shot over into his lane. Luckily the M/Ts were warm and sticky still so once i got on the brakes and tried to straighten it out, the back stayed more in line than say if you were on the street on street tires, i would have spun the car and probably crashed over 100mph.

Time was a 13.02@103mph. the honda did 13.95@101 so he wasn't too close to me. He was 3-4 cars ahead of me still when i shifted into 2nd gear, and he only pulled a 2.3 60ft time... that when i floored it in 2nd, i slingshot'd past him like i sprayed a 200 shot .

Part of the problem is the car has stock axles, i don't have the diff brace on yet and a stock clutch, 29k miles, not beaten on... i know with one heavy/hard launch like i probably can get on good track prep with these tires, something is going to break.

So i have a tendency to one to let the clutch out quicker and feather the gas, not the clutch with a lot of rpms. I'm not getting wheelhop or anything though so thats not an issue.

So lay it on me, how are the experienced guys driving to get the ideal times from their cars? I'm an inexperienced manual car driver driving a car requiring an experienced mustang driver haha.

Ford2ner

Established Member
To me it sounds like the traction control was still on, well except for the burnout.. And If on a drag radial and stock axles I'd be launching around 2500-3000 and slipping the clutch until you feel it engaging and moving the car and drop the clutch and start laying into the gas hard, you should be trapping that 103 in the 1/8th.. Seat time is a huge thing in these cars and yes you will need 4th

Users who are viewing this thread