need help fast - stuck freeze plug

nothing

nothing
Established Member
i have searched and searched and have tried every method on here. (except liquid CO2 & Dry Ice)

I hit the plug in the corner and it begin to rotate after i hit it the next time the thing dropped into the head about 1/2 inch

i have a hole drilled into it now and the lag bolt in the hole and still cant pry it out :fm:

any help would be so appreciated!!!

doing the cooling mod btw :)

OrangeCobra2004

Established Member
When I did mine I drilled a hole in it then took this tool I have with a hook on one end & a handle on the other, stuck the hook in the hole and hit upward on the handle with a hammer. Try to find something with a small hook on it.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Someone wrote that they used a can of air (from an office supply store) turned upside down. Altrnately, you can buy canned freon from some electronics stores. Spray the freeze plug and it will shrink slightly when cold and should be easier to remove.

AaronK

Established Member
Someone wrote that they used a can of air (from an office supply store) turned upside down. Altrnately, you can buy canned freon from some electronics stores. Spray the freeze plug and it will shrink slightly when cold and should be easier to remove.

+1... spray the crap out of it with an upside down air duster until it's covered in a decent layer of ice.

sweet88gt

You really look at this??
Established Member
i have searched and searched and have tried every method on here. (except liquid CO2 & Dry Ice)

I hit the plug in the corner and it begin to rotate after i hit it the next time the thing dropped into the head about 1/2 inch

i have a hole drilled into it now and the lag bolt in the hole and still cant pry it out :fm:

any help would be so appreciated!!!

doing the cooling mod btw :)

Do you have a picture of the problem?? Do you have the blower removed?? This may help to come up with some different ideas

nothing

nothing
Established Member
going to attack this again today. i was getting too mad last night and didnt want to damage anything so i stopped. everything is off the car...this is keeping me from putting the Kenne Bell on :bash:

IMG_1260_resize.JPG

IMG_1262_resize.JPG

Last edited:

sweet88gt

You really look at this??
Established Member
That doesnt look too bad. I would sand the area above the freeze plug to aid in the removal. Then lube the area with something to help when prying it up with the lag bolt and piece of wood method. If that didnt work I would spray the plug with the already metioned spray to shrink it and remove with the lag bolt method. If still a problem try folding the freeze plug in half and remove it with vice grips. Just have to be patient and think outside the box.

nothing

nothing
Established Member
freezing did not work...i will post pics shortly of how f'd up this plug is now

i put a gash in the side of my head also that i need to smooth out now.

Red10thcv

Established Member
Same Problem.

I had a similar problem. But I just use a bigger lag bolt and a GOOD size crowbar with a block of wood. The main thing is to take your time. The new adaptor doesn't go down deep in the head and to add alittle insurance I put a small amount of sealer above the O-ring.

daydark

Established Member
I'm having this exact same problem. I cannot get the sumbitch out. I drilled a hole and have a 3/16 bolt in there and I'm prying the hell out of it but it doesn't move. Any suggestions? Freezing doesn't seem to work.

Users who are viewing this thread