Need Help! Faulty fuel pressure rail sensor? Electrical bug?

Svtconnor

Hey guys maybe one of you would have an idea of a fix for the problem I’m having. I have a 2012 GT500 4.0 whipple with a full time KB boost a pump. Car has been running fine the last two years. Recently the car has been cutting power under full throttle with a load. After a data log I noticed the fuel pressure rail sensor was reading low fuel pressure causing the throttle body to close. Since I have a full time BAP I figured my stock pumps were going out. I replaced them with some deutshworks 300s and no difference. I replaced all filters when I changed the pumps and there are no leaks or internal leaks in the tank.

So I then checked the fuel pressure by mounting my inline fuel pressure gauge to eliminate the possibility of a faulty fuel pressure sensor and there was no drop like I was seeing on my data log. The car has no fuel pressure problem just a faulty fuel pressure rail sensor. I then replaced the sensor yet it still reads the same. I then removed the sensor completely and the car pulled hard with no problem at all no leaning out whatsoever.

So the fuel system is not the problem. Could the BAP or alternator be messing with the voltage of the sensor causing it to read wrong? I’m not sure what else could be causing the sensor to read wrong. Me and my mechanic are stumped any help would be appreciated.

moncho

Established Member
Seems like you & your mech have covered a lot of ground to this point. The following is from the '11 Ford manual which should apply to your '12? Apparently the sensor has 2 functions if I'm reading this right. "Fuel rail pressure & temp sensor", is spring loaded & operated by the intake manifold vacuum. I may have missed it but did you check the vacuum?

FORD MANUAL

Good Luck!

69b302

Established Member
So your fuel rail pressure sensor connects to the intake vaccuum to give the pressure drop across the fuel injectors. I assume the vacuum line side has been checked. If your inline guage was not referenced off the intake manifold pressure the two gauges were not measuring the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread