Need Help from the mechanically inclined

robs400

Established Member
I just bought a house that needs some retrofit work in order for me to obtain my occupancy permit. The first thing I need to tackle is turning a Gable Truss into a semi-structural truss by adding diagonal 2 x 4's between all the vertical pieces on the gabel truss. I have them cut up and in place now however the engineer required I used simpson strong tie MP36 for all the attachment locations. The MP36 is a 3 x 6 " plate with a bunch of small spikes in it. I tried drawing them in with a clamp but it didnt really touch it. A hammer is of no use either as the truss just wobbles and the part that goes in when you hammer it, pops right back out when you hit another spot.

A friend of mine suggested a ball joint installation tool, so I may go try and rent one. Anyone have any suggestions!?

94_Vert

Established Member
my guess would have been a c clamp but sounds like you already tried that. what about having a friend support one side and use a sledge

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
You might put a bottle jack on the opposite side and try to put pressure on the back side. If you can picture it just put a jacks base on the front of the truss behind the one your trying to hammer in the plate on.

Coiled03

Established Member
So, the engineer wants you to put gussets on the new webs you're trying to add to the gable, AFTER the gable is already installed in the house?

It shouldn't be hard as long as he's referring to just the interior side. My recommendation would be to brace the truss to the bottom cord of another truss further to the interior (on about a 45-degree angle, preferrably), thereby holding it steady while you hammer in the gusset. Follow what I'm saying?

robs400

Established Member
yeah I follow what you guys are saying...but as of right night the trusses arent tied together at all. I need to put some strong backs in there to tie them all together. but the trusses are made of 2x4's and when you hit them in that direction they are pretty flimsy.

Users who are viewing this thread