Need help! Fuel cuts off at 4500 rpms

Team Dave

I broke something
Established Member
Hey all... I've been having some issues as of late with my damn SCT XCal3. I wanted to set up the 2 step feature, but it didn't seem to work right.. I had it set for around 4500 rpms, but it would keep cutting out in gear. I figured I had the wrong limiter set (theres one for neutral and one for in gear). I tried setting them both with no results. Put them back to stock 7k rpms, and it would still cut out at 4500. I ran the DTC's with the SCT, and it always pulls up the code "P1260." I thought nothing of it, because I assumed it was my old C/E light from the high flow cats (running a bit rich).

Now my first idea was maybe my fuel pump is on it's way out. But the car runs absolutely fine below 4500 rpms.. Pump sounds normal, and has never given me a hint of trouble, and still doesn't (assuming it isn't the problem).

I checked online, and I found a website that said what the code might be...

P1260 Fuel Pump Speed Relay Control Circuit (GM)

P1260 Theft Detected - Engine Disabled (Ford, Mazda)

NOW I'm confused. The first one confirms my fuel pump idea, but it also says it's for a GM. What would the 2nd be? Could that be my issue? It makes sense I guess. I don't see a C/E light still (not since I've had the SCT). The fuel will cut out with the tune loaded onto the ECU, and also with the stock tune loaded on.

Any ideas as to what the hell is happening? I'm effing stumped. :shrug:

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
Check your pump's wireing, could be a bad ground... Also, try taking out the tune and putting the stock tune back on, if it still does it, you know its not the tune..

Team Dave

I broke something
Established Member
Check your pump's wireing, could be a bad ground... Also, try taking out the tune and putting the stock tune back on, if it still does it, you know its not the tune..

The fuel will cut out with the tune loaded onto the ECU, and also with the stock tune loaded on.

;-)

I'm going to unplug the battery for the afternoon (re-installing some gauges anyways), so we'll see if that resets it enough to fix the issue. Hopefully it does. I just got 4.30's put in 3 days ago and I can't romp on it... It's freakin TORTURE!! Haha :lol1:

94svtford

Think with your dipstick
Established Member
im getting same code and my motors cutting out at 4500 also, any idea's? i also have the sf3 tuner, with basic bolt on 98 cobra

tt54l32v

Established Member
my car has had that code before and nothing ever come of check imrc operation both of you

Team Dave

I broke something
Established Member
LOL, back from the dead! I ended up fixing the car a few weeks after this thread was last posted in. The fuel cutoff issue would happen with either the SCT tune loaded or the factory tune. I ended up biting the bullet, loading on the stock tune and taking it to Ford for a reflash (~$150). Car pulled straight to redline just fine after that (didn't hesitate to do it as soon as I pulled out of the dealership, LOL)

Took her home and carefully loaded on an SCT tune again, and all was well. Sold the car back in November though :(

Team Dave

I broke something
Established Member
It's more so an issue with how you load the tune. I guess the computer is incredibly sensitive, and me opening and shutting the driver's door cause it to think it was being stolen. That's why I was getting the theft detected code. When I reloaded the tune after I had the car reflashed, I didn't touch a thing, and all seemed to be well.

It is possible it's an issue with the SCT tuner itself, but I don't think so. SCT is popular enough to where you'd probably see it happening a lot more often.

94svtford

Think with your dipstick
Established Member
it sounds like your having the same exact problem i was having.. i think im gonna go have my firmware updated from ford

Team Dave

I broke something
Established Member
it sounds like your having the same exact problem i was having.. i think im gonna go have my firmware updated from ford

Just remember to load on your factory tune first. Otherwise you'll have a tuner locked onto your car with a stock Ford tune!

Try turning PATS off.

That would work too, but only prior to this happenning.

Users who are viewing this thread