Need help making my mind up

keynan

Established Member
Ok so I know this isn't the right place to post this but since the car has the motor out of an 01 cobra I thought it would be worth a shot in talking to y'all. so here is what I need help with.

Ok guys a few yrs ago I sold my 99 gt to a guy and he just called me a few days ago wanting to sell it. I asked him why and he said he wants to buy a house. Ok cool no big deal so I asked him what all he did to it since i sold it to him and he said took the tko 600 out and put a t56 in. I asked him y he did that and simply said tko broke! I put that trans through so hell and had a blast doing it but come one it was a tko 600 I told him he must not know how to drive a stick!! LOL but oil plugs and gas lol here is the list of mods
Engine:
Built 4.6 L DOHC by lonestar performance
H-beam rods
JE Forged pistons
BBK Cold air kit
BBK Power pipe
BBK Long tube headers
SLP Exhaust
250 wet shot

Trans:
t56
Steeda short-throw shifter

Rear End:
Built solid rear end
Moser axles
Ford racing differential 32 spline

Interior:
Alpine cd player
3 Gauge A pillar pod
Air
Boost
Fuel
Monster tach

Exterior:
2003 cobra wheels
Lowered not sure on the drop
Mach 1 front bumper

Now to the reason why I need help he still owes 6k on it and it has been in a wreck. Nothing big needs a new wheel, and tire, upper and lower control arms, struts, spindle and a new bearing, caster camber plates, and a shocktower. Wtf is a shocktower something on the body? He said the body shop said the frame looked good still. So now if I get it I'll have to through a tko 600 back in it and spend another 2k just for that. The shop said the damage was about 3k he has no insurance on the car so it has to be done out of pocket. What kinda deal should I propose to him? Any help or insight you guys could give me would really help me in my decision. Maybe I should just not get it but I really wanna turn this into a turboed sleeper lol
Thanks

VtekII

Established Member
a shock tower is in the engine bay its what the strut bolts to... if it got hit that hard there i woudlnt thnk youd want it, my guess is the front is swayed pretty good and may have tweaked it pretty good. did the shop just look at door gaps or something to say its ok or did they actually through the lasers on it or gauges. it may look alright but a few millimeters here and there can make big problems for driveability. also not to mention your corrosion protection will be all f'd up. but hey im picky thats just my opinion.

keynan

Established Member
Well to be honest I haven't got to talk to the shop since it's not my car lol but he is a close friend and said that the shop just said no frame damage but that they would put it up and look at more in detail later. Thanks for the info on the shock tower

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
a shock tower is in the engine bay its what the strut bolts to... if it got hit that hard there i woudlnt thnk youd want it, my guess is the front is swayed pretty good and may have tweaked it pretty good. did the shop just look at door gaps or something to say its ok or did they actually through the lasers on it or gauges. it may look alright but a few millimeters here and there can make big problems for driveability. also not to mention your corrosion protection will be all f'd up. but hey im picky thats just my opinion.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought those were the strut towers. Shock towers are in the rear I thought.

droptopsnake01

N/A FTW!
Established Member
I wouldnt do it. Its been wrecked. Just dosn't seem like a quality build.

If you want a sleeper buy a 96-96 cobra for cheap, build the motor but twins or a single on it and throw an auto in it and do work.

VtekII

Established Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought those were the strut towers. Shock towers are in the rear I thought.

my bad shock tower, strut tower you can call it whatever you want... either way it sounds like all the damage is up front so you would assume it would be the front one.

keynan

Established Member
I think I'm just gonna scratch this idea and keep looking! I just don't really want to start all over again lol although it will keep me out of trouble :) maybe I should just save up for an 03/04 cobra??? Thanks for the help guys

elyrain

Established Member
Buy it for 6k, then go buy a 99 v sucks and swap everything over, Lotta work, but a good deal when all is said and done. JMO

Users who are viewing this thread