NEED HELP !!! NEW MT's CHEWED UP :(

vip3r1850

Established Member
I put new 275/40/17 Mt's et street radials on 2 days ago. I drove it nice and easy for a few miles and finally did a nice rolling pull - the car didnt spin the tires, hooked into 2nd and i was off - I thought these tires were the best ones I had on so far . . . Till i got on the highway. I made a small lane change and then my car almost went sideways, wasnt even on the gas !!! I then realized after playing with the steering wheel at about 60 MPH that the ass of this car is now on a balloon. You do a quick jerk of the wheel no more than 20 degrees and then back - the whole process by the time the car responds takes a second ! Its extremely unresponsive and it feels like its riding on a tubed slick! I have no idea whats going on. I am afaraid to drive on the highway - the back is extremely extremely loose !!!!

The tires were balanced on a roto balancer, the left rim is true to .008" and the right rim is .013" which is damn near perfect, and the tires balanced out fairly well. There was an initial PSI of 35 . . .

Well come 2 days later, i have done no more than a handful of hard pulls from a rolling 1st and as i kept putting on more and more pulls (20 tops) the tires started to grab less and less. I was like what is up with this, get outa the car to find this is going on with the tires.

chewed1.jpg

I lowered the psi to 30 - the swaying from the ass was reduced minimally but still extremely dangerous. I almost swiped a car because i got on it alittle to hard and they broke loose.

If i get on the gas from a roll in 1st - the tires light up immediately, they hook into 2nd, and at about 3-4K then suddenly break loose so fast and so hard the car does move sideways, --- almost like a derailed train - i took a pro drag racer for a ride and he thought that i jerked the wheel when the car went sideways.... He has no answer for me.

Either way, the picture shown above is after 3 massive burnouts to get rid of some of the peel because the car had 0 traction, these tires are a few days old, its ridiculous, i didnt ride them that hard .... Here is a close up of the peel after the burnouts.

chewed2.jpg

It was so bad before the burnouts that if you rolled your hand across the top of the tire it would peel like an orange. Somebody suggested wheel hop but I feel as if it is non-existent. HELP GUYS PLZ !!! Thanks

ADD: I did not launch the car on concrete where the concrete coulda ripped them up either, the roads are almost ideal where i did a few pulls...
Friend also mention a recall on MT's that were comming apart from a bad batch ---> I bought these from JEGS

Last edited:

DaBoss302

Established Member
I had a set that never seem to hook on a coupe of mine also they looked just like that very new and peeling

and I just bought a coupe that had some on it and had no problems but they are older ? so maybe need to get some wear on them?

vip3r1850

Established Member
I had a set that never seem to hook on a coupe of mine also they looked just like that very new and peeling

and I just bought a coupe that had some on it and had no problems but they are older ? so maybe need to get some wear on them?

After i got rid off the bad orange like peel i have little tread left, thats how deep it peeled :( I just blew 400+ $$ in the water, so pissed :nonono: i was expecting much better. Im calling MT tom and complaining

Users who are viewing this thread