Need help!! No brakes

FastazzL

Hot Potato Handler
Established Member
Well, the other day, I replaced the pads on my lightning and painted the calipers while they were off (I disconnected the brake lines from the calipers :bash: ). When I put everything back together, I could not get any pressure in the brake system. I bleed the hell out of the brakes thinking there might be air in the lines but I have gone through a big can of brake fluid and still to pressure. The only thing I can think of might be how the washers go on the banjo fitting. I have 2 for each bolt, one under the head of the bolt and another between caliper and the banjo fitting. I have no leaks anywhere and when I put on the brake, the pedal just falls to the ground. Help please! There is a car show I was planning on going to tomorrow and I get off of work today at 5 and only have a limited time to work on my truck. Thanks

AJ

FastazzL

Hot Potato Handler
Established Member
I had somebody in the cab pressing the brake while I watched to see if air was coming out, then blocking the valve while the brake was depressed so no air got back into the line. I think that would be a power bleed.

Torched_03

Stock!
Established Member
Have you driven around at all. If not drive around the block just enough to get som heat in the brake system.........Then go back anr re-bleed the brakes. Start at the pasg rear,driver rear.pasg front,driver front.

FastazzL

Hot Potato Handler
Established Member
LightningMedic said:
Have you driven around at all. If not drive around the block just enough to get som heat in the brake system.........Then go back anr re-bleed the brakes. Start at the pasg rear,driver rear.pasg front,driver front.
I would but I live on the top of a hill and I am afraid to try and go down my driveway with no brakes.

FastazzL

Hot Potato Handler
Established Member
LightningMedic said:
AHHHHHHHHH you got me now???????????????????
lol. I have done brakes in the past and never had a problem. This is the first time and I am stumped. I think it is something simple that I have just overlooked but I can't find out what it is.

FastazzL

Hot Potato Handler
Established Member
RTStabler51 said:
may have a collapsed hose
When I bleed the brakes, I got a constant flow of brake fluid from each one. Would I still be able to get that with a collapsed hose? I have never heard of this happening.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
I had it happen on my SHO, we got fluid coming out of the caliper, but it wasn't the typical 'piss' stream, it was a very weak flow.....I wouldn't think it happen on your truck being its not that old...

FastazzL

Hot Potato Handler
Established Member
All I did was disconnect the banjo fitting, and hang it on the control arm until I reattached it to the caliper. I don't think it could have been smashed or anything.

Correct me if I am wrong, but if I had air in the lines someplace, wouldn't there still be resistance when you were putting the brake on? I'm so lost on this, I have no idea where to go from here. :shrug:

OH-MAN

Established Member
I only ask because 2 others have done this . Did you put the calipers on the same side they came off? Is the bleed fitting pointing down or up (up is good)

Sounds like some air is trapped in the caliper.

FastazzL

Hot Potato Handler
Established Member
OH-MAN said:
I only ask because 2 others have done this . Did you put the calipers on the same side they came off? Is the bleed fitting pointing down or up (up is good)

Sounds like some air is trapped in the caliper.
oh.......

Sounds lilke I am switching the calipers when I get off work. Thanks for the input. They are both pointing down right now so that is probably the problem.

nastynivek

Nov. 10, 1775
Established Member
Sounds to me like you may need to bleed the master cylinder. Any auto parts store should carry the master cylinder re-bleed kits, and it should have instructions. After you bleed the master cylinder you'll have to bleed the calipers again. I had the same symptoms on another vehicle in the past, and it turned out to be the master cylinder. Hope this helps you out. Good luck. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread