Need help on these 93 Cobra Floormats. Plus good comparison pics!

UWISSSH

Underground 93 Guru
Established Member
Ok so I just bought some 93 Cobra floormats that were advertised as NOS OEM floormats. They came today and i'm not really sure what to think. They came in a ford box and look just like my originals and look really good but no ford part numbers on the back. I have a set of the ACC reproductions and they for sure aren't those either. You will need pics to decide so here they are!

Pass. side. Real one is on the left, the one in question in the middle and my ACC repro on the right. Sorry but I only have black ACC repros. Notice the ACC is bigger and the shape is different

IMG_0708.jpg

Same arrangement here as well for the driver side

IMG_0707.jpg

Driver sides, my original on the right

IMG_0705.jpg

Pass side, my original on the right again.

IMG_0706.jpg

underside pics, the ACC mat is on the right, you can see the difference in the nubs.

IMG_0709.jpg

Here's where it gets shady. My original has the F3 part number on it, the one I just bought does not have it and something was scuffed off.

IMG_0711.jpg

Other side is missing part number as well but has a year grid

IMG_0710.jpg

I've heard that the original repro mats were very close to the originals compared to the ACC stuff that's out now so i'm thinking these are the first run of repro mats?

BrettT 93|03

93 & 03 Cobra Venom
Established Member
I think that's pretty darn close. The closest you'll probably get.

Now, for the Black ACC repro.:nono:

Where did you get the Gray repro's from? I hope they come in Black. I may need a set one day. Or, do they even come that way anymore?

UWISSSH

Underground 93 Guru
Established Member
I got them off eBay. I paid $100 which is what the ACC repros sell for so I'm not sure what to do with them. I could tell the guy to take them back since
They don't appear to be factory as he advertised but for what I paid they would be a good driver set.

buddha93

Established Member
Not a Ford part number, and the first thing I saw was PPI.

Look at this link at the bottom of the page:

PPI | Interior| 1979-1993

They are reproductions, without a doubt but they are waaaaay better than the ACC. The reason the driver side is different it that it's a 94 and up cut.

mustangparts

Because I said so...
Established Member
Original 1993 Cobra mats were made by one vendor with and without Ford engineering numbers on the backs. Just as 1993 Cobra mats had both sewn fabic edging and vinyl edging and with and without hang tags. The mats that you bought on eBay are NOS Opal 1993 Cobra mats simply without the engineering numbers.

We won't go into the last version of the 1993 Cobra (service parts) mats from Ford that had the short nap and heat applied snake logo.

buddha93

Established Member
Original 1993 Cobra mats were made by one vendor with and without Ford engineering numbers on the backs. Just as 1993 Cobra mats had both sewn fabic edging and vinyl edging and with and without hang tags. The mats that you bought on eBay are NOS Opal 1993 Cobra mats simply without the engineering numbers.

We won't go into the last version of the 1993 Cobra (service parts) mats from Ford that had the short nap and heat applied snake logo.

All parts are made by outside vendors for the most part, but question is how is they were able to produce them without a Ford engineering number? Wouldn't there be some legality issues there? How are they any different then the parts being made using original Ford tooling?

So, more importantly, do you guys have a supply of these particular versions, or is it like the others.......hit and miss?

mustangparts

Because I said so...
Established Member
All parts are made by outside vendors for the most part, but question is how is they were able to produce them without a Ford engineering number? Wouldn't there be some legality issues there? How are they any different then the parts being made using original Ford tooling?

So, more importantly, do you guys have a supply of these particular versions, or is it like the others.......hit and miss?

You might speak to Ford Copyright & Trademark as they know about the legal issues.

A supply of what/which version(s)?

buddha93

Established Member
You might speak to Ford Copyright & Trademark as they know about the legal issues.

A supply of what/which version(s)?

Eh, I was just curious as you seem to be well versed in how the mats where made.

I was curious if you guys ever have any of these non-Ford numbered mats.

mustangparts

Because I said so...
Established Member
Eh, I was just curious as you seem to be well versed in how the mats where made.

I was curious if you guys ever have any of these non-Ford numbered mats.

The non-numbered mats are not exclusive to the 1993 Cobra. We have or have had Feature Car, Lightning, GT500, plain Mustang and other Ford mats with no engineering numbers on the reverse side(s).

Soon before their discontinuation Ford even sold 1993 Feature Car mats with an eyelet on the driver's side mat despite the fact that no Fox Mustang had a retaining hook for the mat!

UWISSSH

Underground 93 Guru
Established Member

I would love to hear that these are originals but I still have some doubts. I looked at the edging and it is different than my factory mats. I can/will post comparison pics but don't have the time today. You're saying OEM mats came in both styles?

So the fact that these mats have ppi as part of the part number on them is just a coincidence? You guys have repro mats for sale on your website, are they your own version or do you sell the ACC stuff?

Like I said above, I paid $100 for these so either I paid retail on ebay for repros or I got a heck of a deal on some OEM's.

buddha93

Established Member
For $100, I wouldn't worry too much. They're much better than the ACC versions.

I'm not claiming to know much about what you have, but I wouldn't call them NOS in the truest definintion of the term. I've never seen a true NOS part that doesn't have the manufacuters name and part number on it......period. However, the catch is it seems whatever vendor was producing them seems to have stopped.

UWISSSH

Underground 93 Guru
Established Member
So I heard back from the seller today. He works at a Ford dealer, he said he bought them back when they were going obsolete and had been hanging on to them but he sold his car so doesn't need them. He stated that Ford used different vendors so there would be minor differences in the mats. He gave me the dealership to reach him at if I wanted.

mustangparts, I would still like to know what repro mats you guys sell. I would also love to hear more about the story behind the snake logo mats. I bought a set for my other cobra that I used for driver mats and they were really nice, came with the Ford "installation" instructions and they had Ford numbers on the back.

I said I would post a pic of the edging...

IMG_0712.gif

The ones that came on the car have more of a "rolled" edging. The ones I just bought you can see the stitching more clearly. What do you guys think?

UWISSSH

Underground 93 Guru
Established Member
My mats did come in a box just like the ones in the link.

The snake mats in buddha93's link are the same snake mats that I mentioned. That guy is trying to make a killing though. I paid about $70 for my set a few years back. I'm curious about their story though, they weren't what came with our cars from the factory.

buddha93

Established Member
All the mats I've ever had came on a cardboard hanger, though it seems like I had a factory set that was boxed up back in 89'........that was too may beers ago.

My buddy just snagged a set of Summer Edition mats with the yellow running pony on them and I believe they also were boxed like this. I'll have to see what they have stamped on them.

Like I said, for $100 you didn't get hurt any. For the purest with a 500 mile car it may be in issue, but I wouldn't worry too much. It seems that all the information provided by the seller and PPI is correct IMO.

mustangparts

Because I said so...
Established Member
So I heard back from the seller today. He works at a Ford dealer, he said he bought them back when they were going obsolete and had been hanging on to them but he sold his car so doesn't need them. He stated that Ford used different vendors so there would be minor differences in the mats. He gave me the dealership to reach him at if I wanted.

mustangparts, I would still like to know what repro mats you guys sell. I would also love to hear more about the story behind the snake logo mats. I bought a set for my other cobra that I used for driver mats and they were really nice, came with the Ford "installation" instructions and they had Ford numbers on the back.

I said I would post a pic of the edging...

IMG_0712.gif

The ones that came on the car have more of a "rolled" edging. The ones I just bought you can see the stitching more clearly. What do you guys think?

The fact is, we have never sold a reproduction 1993 Cobra mat set. The ones listed on our site were posted in error as the image would have confirmed. They were for the 1994-1995 Cobras as they had the light lettering on the black mat. They have since sold-out. All we stock now are NOS Ford mats.

The differences seen in the mats as brought-up in this thread are nothing out of the ordinary especially when soft trim is concerned. When the mats were produced, they were done so without any regard to future posterity or collectibility.

Users who are viewing this thread