Need Help on wastegating a procharger - 2011 mustang gt

Kman11

Established Member
you on e 85? couldn't remember if you posted that or not and do you have a boost gauge in the car curious what it will running at crusing rpms. and I wonder what your iat will be with that wastegated, like you mentions earlier that lund had a concern about- you may have to run e 85 or add a meth kit to knock temps down. keeps the updates coming-

I'm on 93.

I spoke to a few different tech's at procharger during this process and none of them thought i would have any IAT issues with the large pulley on it. They thought if i pullied it down, i certainly would.

I do have a boost gauge, i haven't driven it yet though. I'm hoping to get it out this weekend if work / weather cooperates.

Will certainly keep the updates coming

Kman11

Established Member
Update -

I took the car out for its maiden voyage last night. The tial Q is LOUD, the constant sound of air rushing is pretty crazy while just cruising. It's like a 747 is coming in to land or something. It will take some getting used to.

You guys like that sound from the BOV? I haven't been in boost yet to hear what that will sound like when coming out of boost.

Another thing is the procharger fan is very loud as well, but it does seem to move some serious air.

The tial BOV - I have the 6# spring in there now (bought the kit used, that is what was in there). I see from the tial chart, a 3# is recommended for SC cars. What will be different with the 3# spring? I don't have a good understanding as to what the spring is altering within the BOV

Helomech74

Established Member
If you're running a Tial Q with an SC setup, then you need #2 spring (newer springs are green and older springs are hot pink I believe.) The #6 spring is used for turbo cars making low vacuum at idle.

Kman11

Established Member
(which seIf you're running a Tial Q with an SC setup, then you need #2 spring (newer springs are green and older springs are hot pink I believe.) The #6 spring is used for turbo cars making low vacuum at idle.

Thanks for the reply. I under stand that is recommended. There are tons of setups (Supercharged) running different spring pressures to get less sound, better drive-ability, etc.

I'm getting a ton of air rushing sound now with the 6# spring, if i switch to the 3#, it will let MORE air vent correct? Meaning more air rushing sound while cruising at part throttle?

Any idea if the tial springs from their wasetgates are interchangeable with the BOV? I have green 3 pound spring from my tial MVR laying around i could try, otherwise i found one online for ~$30 (which seems steep for a spring).

Many thanks for the help!

Helomech74

Established Member
I've never used different springs to try to quiet down the valves, I'd prefer they function as designed as opposed to keeping them quiet, so I can't comment on that personally. I'm also not sure if the springs from their BOV and Wastegates are the same, best bet would be to call them and find out.

myke hunt

Feugo
Established Member
I have built a few of these...
1) run the gate before the intercooler so you don't mess with the efficiency (your IATS will go up as you spin the unit harder)
2) tap vacuum source at manifold or else you won't be reaching the trueboost you want since the gate is referenced to piping before the pressure drop.

Kman11

Established Member
Thank you everyone for the help so far!

I'm working with Lund on the tuning now, and i must say, for anyone who hasn't used them, they are incredibly professional and responsive. Really top notch company to deal with.

I've went through the first couple revisions with them and was given the go ahead to hit it WOT from 2500-7200. I took it out tonight to do so -

I ran out of road and only hit 6800 RPM, my boost gauge was only reading 8 PSI.

I'm getting a bit of light dust on the pulley and around it on the SC bracket etc. How much dust is normal? I'm using a gates green belt. I have the tensioner on the 1st notch. This is my first centrifugal setup so i'm learning.

I'm wondering if i put the right wastegate springs in, which i'll check tomorrow ( should be 10#). Or if the belt is slipping a bit, OR if maybe that is all it has with the 4.75" pulley?

No one was really sure where i would be boost wise with that pulley, the best guesses from ATI were ~15# or so.

MG0h3

Established Member
I doubt youd pick up 2psi from the 400 rpm left over. Maybe one. But how often will you run it that hard? Rarely. I usually take mine a 4-500 below red line.

So assuming the boost gauge is ok, the gate spring is probably a little weak. Remember, a flat washer that is the same diameter of the spring will work if you dont have a bunch of springs with it.

A bit of dust is normal, especially when new. Youll usually hear it or see it on the gauge as a slightly falling boost reading.

Kman11

Established Member
I doubt youd pick up 2psi from the 400 rpm left over. Maybe one. But how often will you run it that hard? Rarely. I usually take mine a 4-500 below red line.

So assuming the boost gauge is ok, the gate spring is probably a little weak. Remember, a flat washer that is the same diameter of the spring will work if you dont have a bunch of springs with it.

A bit of dust is normal, especially when new. Youll usually hear it or see it on the gauge as a slightly falling boost reading.

I agree, i won't be running it up to 7200. I was shifting when N/A at 7000. I was thinking of limiting it to 6800 or so due to being on stock OPG's still.

Thanks for the info on the belt dust. I'm guessing you are probably right - the gate spring is a little weak. I'm thinking of just leaving it like this for now, and getting used to the car. Then, if i want to turn it up a bit i can change/adjust the springs and re-tune in the future.

Going from a relatively stock coyote to this with 8# (even on the super safe dialing in tune) the car feels like a rocket ship. It will be fun getting accustomed to it.

MG0h3

Established Member
Not a bad plan. Switch to E85 and add 2 psi in down the road when you get bored.

Kman11

Established Member
Figured i would update this-

I opted to leave the wastegate alone at the 8#'s. In the future i'll look into a boost controller or messing with the springs to get a couple more pounds and e85 or meth injection.

I went through the datalogs with lund and we have the car all set. Everything feels good, and the car feels really quick, it's night and day to what it was before the SC. It will be fun getting used to it.

I'm loving the procharger whine and the BOV air rushing sound. It's funny to see peoples reactions when driving around, many people give that look of "what the hell is wrong with that car".

I can't say anything negative at all about the kit from procharger. Very impressed with the fit and finish of it.

On my WOT log's i'm seeing about 40 degree's above ambient for air intake temps at 7k RPM. Curious what you guys are typically seeing? The big discussion before doing this was if the f1c was going to be running too hot, even being under pullied. Love to see a similar log from a ps1c or d1sc setup if anyone has any.

Users who are viewing this thread