need help pickin products for PC!

speedfreek88

-Skinny Pimp Racing-
Established Member
my girlfriend just bought me a PC 7424 and some lake country pads for my birthday and im wanting to get down to detailin! ive been lookin at SMP's site and doin some searching on here but im still needing some help picking out products (there's so many!)... my lightning is DSG and id really like the flake to pop but i will also be doing the keep up on reds, silvers, blues, whites, and gonna tackle my friends jeep cj-6 scrambler (its blue but its got ALOT of oxidation, scratches, and swirls) and try to polish it up a bit.

heres a list of stuff im thinkin bout so far:
-Poorboys SSR1
-Poorboys SSR2.5
-Poorboys Black Hole glaze
OR
-Clearkote Red Moose Machine glaze
-not really sure on the wax or sealant either...

... i really appreciate all the help. im just ready to use this thing!

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I think Poorboys harsher cutters are a little aggressive for a beginner. I love just about everything I've ever used from them, but for Compounds and Polishes, I love Optimum stuff. Optimum Polish II, Hyper Compound and Compound II are all in my detailing arsenal. The Polish II is some of the most versatile stuff I've ever used and the Compounds are also versatile and easy to used.
Not to mention you get 32oz of product for a very good price.

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
Glaze just fills in the swirls, they will re appear after washes.

A popular PB combo for dark colors is EX topped with nattys....i still use it.

speedfreek88

-Skinny Pimp Racing-
Established Member
they shouldnt reappear if i get rid of them using the ssr1...

here's the updated list
-ssr2.5 and ssr1
-Red Moose machine glaze
-ex-p sealant

E

2008 SVTP RPS Champ
Established Member
hey man i used optimum polish with a white pad on my dsg mach 1 and threw pinnacle carnuba on top and the flake pops like it never has before.

Saleen281sc

I've got a Cobra,too
Established Member
Waste of money.

You don't need 4 different products to get out scratches, then polish, then glaze, etc.

Go to a refinish shop, and pick up some 3M Finesse-it II and some foam pad polish, or a product called "System One".

Those products will work better than the ones you listed, even on a PC.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
Waste of money.

You don't need 4 different products to get out scratches, then polish, then glaze, etc.

Go to a refinish shop, and pick up some 3M Finesse-it II and some foam pad polish, or a product called "System One".

Those products will work better than the ones you listed, even on a PC.

:rollseyes:nonono:

dacker

Established Member
To the OP see the PM I sent you.

Personally I like Meguiar's products. I use them pretty much exclusively along with some Wizards products I got for free from the body shop I had do some work.

Either way here the thread over at CEG for what I used with my PC.

mmmmmmmm T-Green goodness - CEG Forums

I've always been extremely happy with Meguiar's but I also know people who swear by Poorboys, Zanio etc. You name it, someone will swear by it.

Last edited:

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I agree on the glaze not being needed, but if your finish needs correction sometimes the best way to correct it is to take a few steps with different products.
There is no real way to correct scratches and swirls by hand and sometimes the only way to do it right will require a few different steps with varrying abrassive compounds and polishes. While I agree you may not always need "4 products," sometimes you absolutely need 2 or 3 to do it right.

dacker

Established Member
I agree on the glaze not being needed, but if your finish needs correction sometimes the best way to correct it is to take a few steps with different products.
There is no real way to correct scratches and swirls by hand and sometimes the only way to do it right will require a few different steps with varrying abrassive compounds and polishes. While I agree you may not always need "4 products," sometimes you absolutely need 2 or 3 to do it right.

Agreed. I don't know about you guys, but I usually only clay, polish and seal the car 2x per year, spring and fall. Otherwise, it's once a week hand wash and wax as needed.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
Yeah I only use correction products when they're needed. That's why I don't see a problem with having a few different products in your bag of tricks. If I have a spot correction to make that requires a compound, I'm certainly not going to compound the entire car. Having products of varrying levels of abrassivness allows you to keep the entire finish looking even, smooth and clear of defect.
Inbetween full details (which I really only do 2 or 3 times a year as needed) I simply wash and apply Optimum spray Car Wax. I will reapply whatever final step wax I'm using at the time (DoDo Juice Purple Haze right now) a few times over the summer to build up coats, but the Optimum spray Car Wax is perfect for inbetween finishing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread