Need help! VMP blower upgrade and still same numbers.

cotySRT-4

Established Member
Hey everyone! If anyone has any ideas on what's going on it would be greatly appreciated.

The car went into the shop and the power was peaking out at 492 on a ported blower, accufab TB, plenum, JLT high boost, long tubes, 2.93 and 4lb lower. The VMP was installed with a GT500 throttle body and plenum and a brand new intake. The car still has a 4lb lower on it and it's making the exact same numbers and graph as it did with the eaton setup so it's believed it was choked somewhere. Bran new intake so that's not the issue. Uninstalled the mufflers on the car and put it back on the dyno to see if that fixes it and still puts out the same numbers.

Does anybody have any idea what it might be?

NiceCobra

Established Member
What size upper are you running on the tvs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Approximately 21 lbs of boost. The last pull was about a month ago

21lbs + anything approaching a correct tune should be WAY higher, as I'm sure you know. Hate to say it - but it might be compression and leakdown time, assuming you are getting good spark and fuel to each cylinder. If you had an exhaust flow issue, you would still see 550+ tq down low, it just wouldn't climb correctly through the rpm's as the demand to move air in and out increased. Only other thing I can think is that possibly the throttle body isn't opening fully for some reason. Obviously easy to do a visual check on that with the car off, just need two people.

03cobrajc

Established Member
I'm dealing with same problem myself right now with my vmp setup. two years ago i made 626hp/601tq with 3.2 uppper and 4lb lower. motor blew a head gasket, sent motor off to get re-manufactured and went get a tune the other day for new motor but this time with a 3.0 upper and 4lb lower and car only made 544hp/608tq. So my torque jumped up a little but my hp dropped 82 for some reason. Now I had belt slip with smaller upper pulley and it was hot outside but I'm not sure if that would cause 82hp loss.

just to add one dyno was a dynojet other was dynocom

Last edited:

cotySRT-4

Established Member
Well the source was located. Cylinder 7 is hurt and is at 85% leakage. Time to start building a motor unfortunately. The shitty part is that motor only had 4K miles on it.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Well the source was located. Cylinder 7 is hurt and is at 85% leakage. Time to start building a motor unfortunately. The shitty part is that motor only had 4K miles on it.

Man that sucks, who built last motor? Was it all stock parts?

03cobrajc

Established Member
Curious when you got your numbers what was your torque? Cause that's the only reason why I ruled out maybe I have a weak cylinder cause my torque was so night still

cotySRT-4

Established Member
Man that sucks, who built last motor? Was it all stock parts?
It wasn't built by anybody. It was a brand new crate motor from Ford. So yeah, it was all stock parts.

Did your motor shake hard at idle or even kill at idle?
No, my car ran great at idle. Never dies or anything.

Curious when you got your numbers what was your torque? Cause that's the only reason why I ruled out maybe I have a weak cylinder cause my torque was so night still

My torque was 507 so exacrly the same as when the eaton was on the car. It has to be either air going in, or going out that's blocked up somewhere keeping your numbers low. If everything else is good then consider doing a compression test.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
It wasn't built by anybody. It was a brand new crate motor from Ford. So yeah, it was all stock parts.
Sorry to hear about the motor issue, especially with only 4k miles on it, that sucks.
Yeah,...that does suck! Is there any type of warranty on the engine, or is out of warranty?
Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread