need help w/ haze and water spots

tx03snake

Established Member
hey guys i am trying to get water spots and haze that i have on my car. in certain spots it is pretty bad but others you really cannot tell that much. i bought the car used and i believe the guy just let it sit and when i was getting it i could not really tell how bad the paint actually was. when i was at SEMA the guy at Meguiars told me to get there compound and it should take care of the problem. i just bought some and after being clayed and everything i began to put it on and the haze and water spots began to go away but it took a lot of effort. hopefully i didnt do something wrong as i am new to the real detailing on cars.

i want to order a porter cable to help me out and i was just wondering what else yall would think would help me get rid of this and really make the DSG paint look much better? need help asap got a lot of car shows and different things i am trying to get this thing ready for. sorry for writing so much but i do appreciate the help guys

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
The water spots need to be polished and need to be done by a machine. The haze may be buffer trails but without pics I have no idea. Buffer trails are not coming out when you don't have a machine.

Saleen281sc

I've got a Cobra,too
Established Member
^+1

What he said.

You aren't going to get ANYTHING major out with a Porter Cable.

You need the real deal buffer.

On a couple of my cars, I had some minor acid etching/scars/scratches, so I took some 3M 3000 grit and sanded out the clear, then buffed back out to an ultragloss finish.

The great thing about 3000 grit is a foam pad will remove those scratches, whereas using 1500-2000 grit will require a wool pad, followed up by the foam pad.

hand-to-ball

That Was Just Your Life
Established Member
^+1

What he said.

You aren't going to get ANYTHING major out with a Porter Cable.

WRONG. The PC is capable of taking out 95% of what the rotary can, it'll just take longer. Either you've not used the right pad/product combo, or didn't work the polish in correctly. I bought a Makita last year and still to this day haven't used it...the PC is a very powerful and versatile tool when used properly.

The rotary is nice, but if you skip the buffer or go hard over an edge and your paint is ****ed.

For water spots, use a yellow cutting pad with the compound of your choice and a PC and you'll get what you're looking for.

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
WRONG. The PC is capable of taking out 95% of what the rotary can, it'll just take longer. Either you've not used the right pad/product combo, or didn't work the polish in correctly. I bought a Makita last year and still to this day haven't used it...the PC is a very powerful and versatile tool when used properly.

The rotary is nice, but if you skip the buffer or go hard over an edge and your paint is ****ed.

For water spots, use a yellow cutting pad with the compound of your choice and a PC and you'll get what you're looking for.

The PC is capable of doing correction but it takes forever. I'll take my rotary any day, you just have to know how to use it. Yellow pads on a PC will more than likely leave you with nice holograms and marring, an orange pad is all you need with a PC. Your compound or polish also plays a huge factor in correction as well.

The rotary will cut down your time considerably, learn how to use and and you'll only use your PC for finishing work.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread