Need Help w/ Swirls...Poorboys not working.

jt239

Established Member
I'm using Poorboys SSR 2.5, orange pad, and a PC. After hours of working it, i still have some really small scratches, micromarring, etc. Any suggestions as to a product I can use that is maybe a little more aggresive and finishes well? Spending hours is fine but I want it too look great, not 90%. Thanks!

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
What Mixxer said.

Either drop to a white pad/2.5 or white pad/1.0 and you should fine that last little bit you're after.

jt239

Established Member
I did move to a white pad and SSR 1, then red moose machine glaze with blue pad. Do I need to work one of the steps longer? Man, its gonna take me a week to get this done...lol!

Thank you for the replies...I'm headed out to the garage.

jt239

Established Member
SSR 3.0 and a yellow pad?

I was thinking that and hoping nobody would recommend it. Im scared of that combo...this is my first time with the PC. But I have done a ton of boats with a rotary.

I almost ordered some Menzerna SIP last night but decided to hold off. I dont want to drop the $$$ and get the same results.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
SSR3.0 isn't really worth it from everything I've ever read. Basically rocks in a bottle.

I'd go with SIP/foamed wool if you had to get aggressive. That really should take care of most everything and then go 2.5/orange and 2.5/white or 1/white.

IF you have a rotary...use a white pad on it, around 1200rpm with IP or SIP will take care of a LOT. Finish with the PC if it makes you happier on the curves. But areas like the rear flanks and main door panel sections, deck and roof can all be hit with the rotary for the first round; then use the PC to finish.

gt03mustang

Detailer
Established Member
I'm using Poorboys SSR 2.5, orange pad, and a PC. After hours of working it, i still have some really small scratches, micromarring, etc. Any suggestions as to a product I can use that is maybe a little more aggresive and finishes well? Spending hours is fine but I want it too look great, not 90%. Thanks!

Now still having imperfections in the paint and having micromarring are two different things. If you need something more aggressive then go with M105 and an orange pad. Max size pad you should be using is 5.5", 4" is recommended with the PC. Then go down in aggressiveness to remove compounding haze. And finish with a finishing polish/ pad. IMO, SSR polishes do not finish well. There is a reason they are so cheap. So get yourself some M105 if needed, Menzerna SIP or IP, and 106FF. Also pick up some orange, white, and blue CCS pads. I guarantee your results will not be the same.

jt239

Established Member
Now still having imperfections in the paint and having micromarring are two different things. If you need something more aggressive then go with M105 and an orange pad. Max size pad you should be using is 5.5", 4" is recommended with the PC. Then go down in aggressiveness to remove compounding haze. And finish with a finishing polish/ pad. IMO, SSR polishes do not finish well. There is a reason they are so cheap. So get yourself some M105 if needed, Menzerna SIP or IP, and 106FF. Also pick up some orange, white, and blue CCS pads. I guarantee your results will not be the same.

My PC 7424 XP kit came with 6.5" pads w/ 5" backing plate. Would a 5.5" pad work better? Scott at SMP also sells the 6.5" pads. I did order some 4" pads w/ 3.5" backing plate to do some of the tighter areas, etc.

I think im gonna pull the trigger on some SIP and try it out. Thank you for the feedback...keep it coming!

jt239

Established Member
SSR3.0 isn't really worth it from everything I've ever read. Basically rocks in a bottle.

I'd go with SIP/foamed wool if you had to get aggressive. That really should take care of most everything and then go 2.5/orange and 2.5/white or 1/white.

IF you have a rotary...use a white pad on it, around 1200rpm with IP or SIP will take care of a LOT. Finish with the PC if it makes you happier on the curves. But areas like the rear flanks and main door panel sections, deck and roof can all be hit with the rotary for the first round; then use the PC to finish.

I dont have a rotary but even if I did, I dont think i would use it on my cobra. I'm most concerned with the holigrams that show from inexperienced users on auto paint...aka - me. But good advice, thanks. Gonna get some SIP.

gt03mustang

Detailer
Established Member
My PC 7424 XP kit came with 6.5" pads w/ 5" backing plate. Would a 5.5" pad work better? Scott at SMP also sells the 6.5" pads. I did order some 4" pads w/ 3.5" backing plate to do some of the tighter areas, etc.

I think im gonna pull the trigger on some SIP and try it out. Thank you for the feedback...keep it coming!

Yes, 6.5" pads are way too big for the PC. Dont use anything over 5.5". You can use 4" pads on the whole car, they will correct better than 6.5" pads on the PC. Also, if you want to save some money you can use the regular IP instead of SIP, but thats up to you.

Last edited:

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
IP on a 5.5" orange pad, with 5" bp is a good, general, all-around way to go.

M105; SIP; or 106FF/FA would all work nicely as well.

Don't even think about using anything over a 6" pad for a PC.

Since you have them, take the 4" setup and use a white pad, with the 2.5 and PATIENCE and see if you don't get the results you're looking for.

Keynote on patience. Get in the mood and go make love to your paint, haha. Thats about what it will take to get the absolute best results on black (or dark colors).

jt239

Established Member
IP on a 5.5" orange pad, with 5" bp is a good, general, all-around way to go.

M105; SIP; or 106FF/FA would all work nicely as well.

Don't even think about using anything over a 6" pad for a PC.

Since you have them, take the 4" setup and use a white pad, with the 2.5 and PATIENCE and see if you don't get the results you're looking for.

Keynote on patience. Get in the mood and go make love to your paint, haha. Thats about what it will take to get the absolute best results on black (or dark colors).

Lol...thanks!

V-Sicks

Established Member
I would agree with switching to menzerna. Try sip follwed with 85rd and once all imperfections are removed, throw some rmg on there for some extra depth and wetness.

RAZRS EDGE

Stay Humble
Established Member
I highly recommend you try Menzerna products and switch to a 4" pad. I've had AMAZING results with Menzerna products and with the 4" pad it'll enable you to work on smaller area instead of trying to cover a larger one. Plus, the pad is easier to work with on tight spaces/edges.

Menzerna PO83: Menzerna Super Intensive Polish PO83 - 32 oz | Detailed Image

4" Orange Cutting Pad: Lake Country 4 Inch Orange Light Cutting Pad - 4" | Detailed Image

After that, finish with a lighter polish such as the Menzerna PO85RD. Works perfectly after you get finished with a heavier polish. Use this with a Black 4" pad.

Menzerna PO85RD: Menzerna PO85RD Polish - 32 oz | Detailed Image

4" Black pad: Lake Country 4 Inch Black Finishing Pad - 4" | Detailed Image

Finish with wax of your choice. I strongly suggest using a sealant before the wax for maximum protection and results.

Patience is the key here!

Users who are viewing this thread