Need help when to pay my engine builder

tvspower

Established Member
Well PatonShelby, he will not agree.....
So here's what happened.
Last June towed Shelby to w/garage for diagnostics
Problem, motor tear required
They recommend the engine builder based on past work and knowledge.
I then asked both owner n his top man if they truly feel and believe their recommendation was solid.
Both said yes nI agreed.
They ( wgarage) removed engine sent to builder
NOW! since the shop made contact with builder, is it not Wicked garage's responsibility to get everything fixed n hand me one bill for (except dyno cost) all that was involved..

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Unless the engine builder is completely incompetent, I wouldnt be too concerned. As long as you have it in writing on the workmanship, and quality parts were used Id pay the man.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
You are ultimately response to compensate all parties for the work performed. Is it a good idea to piss everyone off before a dyno pull? Probably not. Who gets paid when should have all been worked out before the process started. I think the engine builder has every right to demand payment before the engine leaves his shop. He's done his part.

gt347mustang

Established Member
I build engines and I tune cars. I prefer to tune my own engines, that way I know the full history of what's happening. When things are handed off shop to shop things are missed and problems arise.

If somebody purchased an engine from me, installed it themselves then took it down the street for somebody else to tune and wanted to hold payment until the dyno is finished I'd tell them to pound sand.

The customer doesn't make the rules on when payment is due! Lol

tvspower

Established Member
Appreciate all replies...
I have as much invested as the builder .........
How do I know my investment is sound.........
He's worked with all parties for years
Everybody knows it other.

Why will he not stand with us all during break in n tune.? I said to dyno guy that the builder does not trust him.....or trust his own work
without getting pd in full.
I will pay 75% n rest after break in.......
I know one thing......

tvspower

Established Member
I build engines and I tune cars. I prefer to tune my own engines, that way I know the full history of what's happening. When things are handed off shop to shop things are missed and problems arise.

If somebody purchased an engine from me, installed it themselves then took it down the street for somebody else to tune and wanted to hold payment until the dyno is finished I'd tell them to pound sand.

The customer doesn't make the rules on when payment is due! Lol
I must say...without customers you would have no work
Your excellent work keeps ppl coming back
Common sense n trust are big
Why can't he trust his fellow business associates
Doesn't look good on the builder.

tvspower

Established Member
Not pissing anyone off
And if I am,
Remember. It's my investment as much as his.
My $$$$$ are good.... Is his build???
Let's break in n tune......
what's the g,,dam problem???

RBB

Established Member
Not pissing anyone off
And if I am,
Remember. It's my investment as much as his.
My $$$$$ are good.... Is his build???
Let's break in n tune......
what's the g,,dam problem???
There are many things, unrelated to the quality of the builder’s work, that can go wrong during a dyno session which could lead to the destruction of that motor. Sure, the odds of them happening may be small, but they still exist. It’s just bad business for him to let any build leave his shop without full payment.

You don’t get to go pick up a new vehicle off the lot without paying for it and flog it on the dyno for a couple hours. Would you expect to be able to? I’m guessing not....how is this any different?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Really the problem is that this wasn’t determined before the work started. I’d place blame on the initial shop. I’ve been through a similar process and if they are overseeing the build, they either should have stated how the engine and dyno guys would be paid, or simply given a total estimate, taken a 50% deposit and paid the other parties, with remainder due when the car is ready for pick up.
The problem is now more complicated, but if all three shops are reputable, I’d assume a resolution wouldn’t be difficult.
Last, if the guy wants to be paid, what’s his warranty policy, IN WRITING.
-J

tvspower

Established Member
RBB
Mass produced engines are totally different
than a 1 person builder
Why won't he go 1/2
James.....
You are right
The first shop sent engine, then fluffed me off to the builder
That's how I feel

RBB

Established Member
RBB
Mass produced engines are totally different
than a 1 person builder
Why won't he go 1/2
James.....
You are right
The first shop sent engine, then fluffed me off to the builder
That's how I feel
I don't see how it's any different. You're paying for a completed product, which this is....you pay in full before it leaves the shop. There should be a warranty provided by the builder on his workmanship, which needs to be discussed upfront before any exchange of funds takes place. If it turns out there was an assembly error you should be reimbursed in full, but that still doesn't mean the motor should leave his shop without being paid for in full. Just my .02....

tvspower

Established Member
I truly appreciate your replies
I'm meeting with the initial shops owner at 1pm
They sent my engine , with me on THEIR invoice
They should be responsible getting engine back to their shop..this way the builder n garage are connected for
failure if any such thing occurr..
I did not bring the engine to builder , THEY DID
Sorry for yelling,,

tvspower

Established Member
Spoke with owners of w/g where I went with my problem....after listening like Business men, we agreed each to pay 50% toward the builder
After break in n tune if all is well, I will pay
back 50% to w/g fronted......
This way I'm not alone if some bad luck happens
Seems like we r all on the same page.
I'm told, having w/g investment involved, is a lot more
Pressure then being by myself to apply....

tvspower

Established Member
UPDATE. ENGINE REBUILT FINISHED
yup.....
Total cost for engine alone. $11k cda
Labour was $3k
Motor is built for 1200 hp
If I go 2.9l whipped w/meth or high fuel, motor could put out 1200hp

My setup...... ported vmp gen1...BPS cams...15%lower/ 2.5 upper... cooling.. etc,,,etc. So much changed......all new connections, pumps, ignition coils, remember my car is 12 yrs old.
I wished n wanted a conservative 91 dyno tune,
I'm 71 n finally realized, I'm slowing down
They gave me 685whp / 727wtq
They asked if I would ok a 100 octane run for numbers
At this stage, I said no, doesn't matter
Seems 1 gentleman is interested in buying, when I not selling.........

Last edited:

decipha

Established Member
I have a machine shop here in new orleans / kenner we have been building race engines since 1957. There has been a few cases where we have let engines leave before without being paid in full cuz the owner seemed like they were decent people and said they would come back and pay the remaining balance. After having over $100k worth of engines and parts never paid for we don't do that anymore. If you want to take the engine out of the shop it needs to be paid in full. Fortunately we have both a chassis and an engine dyno so break-in doesn't pose a problem for us.

tvspower

Established Member
Congrats! Glad it worked out.
Any pics?
-J
Thank you very very much
11 months
When getting the car, I told the engine builder I'm proud of his work, just NOT his time frame
Presently breaking in a new clutch, rear end, n MOTOR
WHAT FUN. Thanks to all

tvspower

Established Member
I have a machine shop here in new orleans / kenner we have been building race engines since 1957. There has been a few cases where we have let engines leave before without being paid in full cuz the owner seemed like they were decent people and said they would come back and pay the remaining balance. After having over $100k worth of engines and parts never paid for we don't do that anymore. If you want to take the engine out of the shop it needs to be paid in full. Fortunately we have both a chassis and an engine dyno so break-in doesn't pose a problem for us.
Excellent n exactly what I was trying to do..
We cancelled the engine dyno and did chassis dyno
And yes, this engine builder does what you do..
I learned a valuable business lesson
Because others caused a problem, he is protecting himself........I didn't know .. I'm used to paying cash....

Users who are viewing this thread