Need help with 12" Woofer

jeffhou

Established Member
Ok heres the story, I already had a Piece of sh*t 10" subwoofer in my lightning and so I decided to go bigger and better and bought a 12" Kappa Perfect. I rebuilt the box so that it could fit the speaker but it sounds like crap and I cant figure out why. It sounds just like it did without the box but with more rattle to it. It does not sound like its suppose to and I cant figure out what the deal is, does it need air ports or more depth or what? The mounting depth is 6.5 inches and the box is 6.75 deep. the back of the speaker is about the size of your pinky away from the back of the box. any advice is appreciated, thanks alot guys.

jsteiert

Established Member
About your sub

you might have too small of a box to get the bass you desire. ports might help some if not I would put in a bigger box.

Vito

Broken
Established Member
Is the box the right size? the speaker needs the right volume or space. otherwise you could maybe mess up the speaker

J15BIG

Established Member
Dont use the sub in that box anymore, you are ruinning your sub. If you bought the sub new it should have come with specifications for either a sealed or ported box. If it didnt you can look up what they should be. Definetly build another box. Also, make sure you have the recommended watts going into it to.

Here is a link to infinitys sub page, click on the one you have then click boxes & parameters. This page will give you the required box volume.

http://www.infinitysystems.com/caraudio/category.asp?Cat=SUB

hope this helps

jeffhou

Established Member
Thanks for the info guys, you were right I didnt have the right volume I didnt think it matters that much, but apparently it matters a whole lot. I guess I am gonna have to buy a custom box for $200 is that a good price for a high quality custom box?

J15BIG

Established Member
$200 is kind of high for just one 12". Who do you plan on having it done by? Sealed, ported, or bandpass?

J15BIG

Established Member
If he does good work than $200 is decent. If he is ur friend see if you can go like $20-$30 lower. If not, then just go for it, as long as its quality work.

jeffhou

Established Member
Well I followed your link to the infinity website, downloaded the correct specifications, bought some wood glue and headed over to my brother in laws house (he has a table saw). I built the box to the correct volume and sealed it well, then I cranked her up and it sounded awesome. Thanks alot for the help you have saved me $200, and I got it built for $19, I dont see how that was worth $200 it was so easy and it took me an hour and a half lol! I am going to make it look pretty tomorrow by adding matching carpet and etc. Again thanks for your help :)

J15BIG

Established Member
glad i could help
good job building the box, sometimes it can be tough but once your done with it and it sounds good its worth it. you also save a lot of money.
anything else i can help you with just post it and ill see if i can come up with and answer

joe santana

needa"L"

Established Member
I don't know what kinda' 10 you had, but I just put a 10 JL W-3 and it hits like mike tyson in his prime. Pushen' it with a JL 250/1. It's in a little bitty sealed box that fits right behind my seat. Just my 3.14 cents. I also found out that if you are playen' burnt CD's sometimes the bass is all jacked up causen' the sub to pop. Ok i'm out.. :smmon:

Users who are viewing this thread