Need Help with 91 LX

ZD302GT

Zach
Established Member
Its a 5.0 AOD car with 167,000

I just bought the car and when i make right hand turns the car sputters and almost dies. I can make left hand turns with no problem at all. The radio or nothing else looses power.

Any Ideas on where to start looking?

Last edited:

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Very interesting. Does it only do this while moving, or can you reproduce this behavior while sitting still? The only thing I can think of, is if this only occurs while you are moving is the gas tank. The pump is on the right hand side of the tank, so if you lost your baffles, it's possible that while making a right the fuel sloshes away from the pickup and causes a fuel starvation problem. A good test for this would be if it gets better when the tank is full.

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member
Very interesting. Does it only do this while moving, or can you reproduce this behavior while sitting still? The only thing I can think of, is if this only occurs while you are moving is the gas tank. The pump is on the right hand side of the tank, so if you lost your baffles, it's possible that while making a right the fuel sloshes away from the pickup and causes a fuel starvation problem. A good test for this would be if it gets better when the tank is full.

if its not that its electrical.. then your opening a whole new can of worms

1ATony

Established Member
I'm wondering if there's a frayed wire somewhere,and it's making contact with metal when you turn a certain way...hmmm

ZD302GT

Zach
Established Member
Im pretty sure its the gas tank baffels. I filled it up and the dying stopped. Also I can hit the tank and it sounds like something is loose inside so...

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Cool. Time for a new tank it sounds like. I'd run this one down and drop it. Take the pump out and look inside before spending the money on a new one though.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Your call I suppose. A new tank from the junkyard is probably pretty damn cheep, and replacing it is an hour job.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Eww, rust = bad. If you don't want it though, you can always give it to me, I'll even pay for shipping....:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread