Need Help with a Trig Problem

94FiveOhCOBRA

*=Boobs Are Awesome=*
Established Member
I have this trig problem which i'm sure some of you math geniuses will think is easy but i can't find any example of the identities to simplify this problem

Simplify 1 / sin t cos t - 1 / tan t using identities.

1 1
----------- - -------
sin t cos t tan t​

Coiled03

Established Member
I'm coming up with 1- cos^2(t)

Explanation:
1) 1/sin(t)cos(t) - 1/tan(t)
2) 1/sin(t)cost(t) - 1/(sin(t)/cos(t)) tan = sin/cos
3) 1/sin(t)cost(t) - cos(t)/sin(t) invert and multiply
4) 1- cos^2(t) multiply through by sin(t)cos(t) and simplify

Dunno if I messed that up, or if it's what you're looking for, but that's what I came up with.

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
Ditto.....

I just multiplied the left side by tan (t)..... Which is sin (t) / cos (t).....

Which in the end all equals sin^2 (t) because of the identity cos^2 + sin^2 = 1 which can boil down to 1-cos^2 = sin^2

Some of these I had back in school they gave me the answers, just needed to show the work on how to get there. Helps to figure out how simple you want it....

Coiled03

Established Member
DKS2814V said:
Ditto.....

I just multiplied the left side by tan (t)..... Which is sin (t) / cos (t).....

Which in the end all equals sin^2 (t) because of the identity cos^2 + sin^2 = 1

Some of these I had back in school they gave me the answers, just needed to show the work on how to get there. Helps to figure out how simple you want it....

DOH! I forgot the last step. :bash:

You're right.....it's sin^2(t)

YELOSNK

Established Member
Oh man, please don't remind me of math. I finished calc 2 senior year in HS and I never want to see another math problem that involves more than + - / = ever again. :bash:

BmoseleyINC

SVT Immortal
Established Member
YELOSNK said:
Oh man, please don't remind me of math. I finished calc 2 senior year in HS and I never want to see another math problem that involves more than + - / = ever again. :bash:

haha, I feel you bro. Math is the one subject I suck balls at, probly becasue it's so boring and I never paid attention in class. I was too busy talking to girls and counting how many dots were in the ceiling panels.

I kick ass at Geometry, but calc/trig..forget it.

Anything else, I got you covered and then some. Math? Sorry dude, ask someone else. :bash: :lol:

UCBeau

Coiled03 said:
I'm coming up with 1- cos^2(t)

Explanation:
1) 1/sin(t)cos(t) - 1/tan(t)
2) 1/sin(t)cost(t) - 1/(sin(t)/cos(t)) tan = sin/cos
3) 1/sin(t)cost(t) - cos(t)/sin(t) invert and multiply
4) 1- cos^2(t) multiply through by sin(t)cos(t) and simplify

Dunno if I messed that up, or if it's what you're looking for, but that's what I came up with.
thats what i got too

damn its been a long time since i did that shit.

OZ Dude

Going Crazy Down Under!
Established Member
I actually used trig for the first time in about 15 years a few months ago when I needed to figure out the pitch of my roof to calculate the amount of metal I would need to re-roof. I was like :banana: Finally a use for it!! :lol1:

Glad you got the answer you needed :beer:

BittenInBama

Established Member
Yeah I worked for a year at a metal building manufacturer; used trig everyday to figure rafter lengths, roof panel lengths, etc. Nice to know it really can be put to a good use every now and then.

killspray

The Killstroyer
Established Member
I think you are all wrong!!!! :nono:

Yes, the 1-Cos^2(t) is correct but you forgot the denominator.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

[1/Sint*Cost] - [1/Tant]

[1/Sint*Cost] - [1/(Sint/Cost)]

[1/Sint*Cost] - [Cost/Sint] **Then multiply [Cost/Sint] by Cost/Cost** (For a common denominator)

[1/Sint*Cost] - [Cos^2(t)/Sint*Cost] **Next, subtract numerators and KEEP denominator**

[1-Cos^2(t)] / [Sint*Cost] **Sin^2(t) + Cos^2(t) = 1** ==> 1-Cos^2(t) = Sin^2(t)

[Sin^2(t)] / [Sint*Cost]

[Sint/Cost]

Answer: Tant

:beer:

Last edited:

Coiled03

Established Member
killspray said:
I think you are all wrong!!!! :nono:

Yes, the 1-Cos^2(t) is correct but you forgot the denominator.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

[1/Sint*Cost] - [1/Tant]

[1/Sint*Cost] - [1/(Sint/Cost)]

[1/Sint*Cost] - [Cost/Sint] **Then multiply by Cost/Cost**

[1/Sint*Cost] - [Cos^2(t)/Sint*Cost] **Next, subtract numerators and KEEP denominator**

[1-Cos^2(t)] / [Sint*Cost] **Sin^2(t) + Cos^2(t) = 1** ==> 1-Cos^2(t) = Sin^2(t)

[Sin^2(t)] / [Sint*Cost]

[Sint/Cost]

Answer: Tant

:beer:

Ummm.....wrong.

First of all, why would you multiply by cos(t)/cos(t) (which is the same as multiplying by 1...what good does that do?) when multiplying through by sin(t)*cos(t) does the job? Second, you did your multiplication wrong. {[1/Sint*Cost] - [Cost/Sint]} * (cost/cost) = [1/Sint*Cos^2t] - [Cos^2t/Cost*Sint] which simplifies to the exact same thing you started with since all you did is multiply by 1.

sin^2(t) is the right answer

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Haha, Killspray is definitely right. The answer is in fact tan(t).

----------------------------------------------------------------

1/(sint*cost)-1/tant

1/(sint*cost)-1/(sint/cost)

1/(sint*cost)-(cost/sint)

Then find a common denominator, which is sint*cost so...

1/(sint*cost)-cos^2(t)/(sint*cost)

(1-cos^2(t))/(sint*cost) : 1-cos^2(t)=sin^2(t)

sin^2(t)/(sint*cost) : cancel out the sint on top and bottom

sint/cost : ** tant **

And my major is mechanical engineering, been doin trig for like 5 years straight. Oh yeah, and I just did the problem on my TI-89, the answer is definitely tan(t). Doesn't anyone use calculators?

killspray

The Killstroyer
Established Member
Coiled03 said:
Ummm.....wrong.

First of all, why would you multiply by cos(t)/cos(t) (which is the same as multiplying by 1...what good does that do?) when multiplying through by sin(t)*cos(t) does the job? Second, you did your multiplication wrong. {[1/Sint*Cost] - [Cost/Sint]} * (cost/cost) = [1/Sint*Cos^2t] - [Cos^2t/Cost*Sint] which simplifies to the exact same thing you started with since all you did is multiply by 1.

sin^2(t) is the right answer

First of all, as I learned in 4th grade, when adding and subtracting fractions, the first thing you have to do is find a common denominator :burn: So I used [Sint*Cost] for my common denominator.

Second, I did not multiply wrong. . . . you did. I only multiplied the second part by [Cost/Cost]. And you are correct. Yes, it does simplify back to the same thing but I did that so I could have a COMMON DENOMINATOR :kaboom:

If you think I am wrong, do a test. Get out your calculator. And for the original equation, substitute in a number for "t". Write that answer down on a piece of paper. Then, plug in that same number, "t", into everyone elses equation, including mine, and tell me who's numbers match the original one.

How can you tell me I am wrong without even checking for yourself if the answer is right?? :poke:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you "Sunburned".

I too am a Mechanical Engineering major. This stuff is used everyday in all of my classes.

Last edited:

OZ Dude

Going Crazy Down Under!
Established Member
Oh oh.

I can see a sin of trouble...

There's gonna be a showdown cos there's a difference of opinion

Someone is gonna end up with a tan on their a$$

Wow, that was really bad wasn't it but someone had to do it :fart:

Oz :D

Users who are viewing this thread