Need help with belt size. Thx in advance

Voice of Reason

Established Member
I'm currently using a 74.5" Gates belt and want to try a Gatorback belt but am unsure what size to go with. On the SFPHQ website they suggest a 74" belt for the 2.93 pulley that I'm running, but after taking the gates belt on/off a half dozen times I don't see how a shorter belt would work. Should I just order a 74.5" gatorback? I'm also using the extra 100mm idler pulley, so I'm guessing that's why I need the extra 0.5".

Oh, and if anyone is curious why I'm switching belt brands. I have chronic belt squeaking issues with my Gates belts. My first gates belt lasted 2 weeks and then started to squeak. So I got a new one from a local parts shop and within 3 days it was squeaking. At first I thought it was the bearing in the 100mm ilder, so I replaced that, but that wasn't it. Then I bought a new regular Ford idler and swapped it out in sequence with the three normal idlers and the squeak didn't go away. So, in an act of desperation I took my original gates belt and took some light/medium grit sandpaper and roughed up the grooved side and worked on taking off the paint for the label from the smooth side. That seemed to work for a couple days and now the squeak is back. The noise is definately coming from the belt because the squeak is consistant and in time with watching the label when it makes a full revolution.

So long story short (to late, right :p ) I'm hopeing that the gatorback belt will get rid of my squeak. If it doesn't I'm going to try replacing the tensioner pulley and then try going with a different brand 2.93 pulley.

It really sucks having your pride and joy squeaking like a POS 80s pickup. :??:

Last edited:

Bingo13

Established Member
You will need the 745 Gatorback belt with the 2.93 pulley and 100mm idler setup. I have found the Gatorback to be a better belt in my experience on this car to date.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
I would use the 74'' gatorback belt. I just orderd the 74.5'' belt, but I am going to use a 2.93 with the 100mm idler. So with just the 2.93 I say 74''. When I used the gatorback before it never squeeked.

Pyro

Established Member
I use a Gatorback 74" belt with my 2.93" and there's still some tension left in my tensioner so you should be good with the 74.5" if you use the idler pulley.

Now a question of my own. If I go down to a 2.80" AND 100mm idler, can I use a 74.5" gatorback belt?

Voice of Reason

Established Member
Originally posted by Pyro
I use a Gatorback 74" belt with my 2.93" and there's still some tension left in my tensioner so you should be good with the 74.5" if you use the idler pulley.

Now a question of my own. If I go down to a 2.80" AND 100mm idler, can I use a 74.5" gatorback belt?

I know that a friend of mine who has the 2.8 pulley is using a 73.5" gates belt, but he doesn't have the idler. So I would guess that a 74" belt would be good if the idler is used, but 74.5" might be a little too big. But then again, I'm probably the wrong person to ask since I'm unsure of my own belt ;-)

Bingo13

Established Member
Originally posted by Pyro

73.5" without and 74" with the idler.

Pyro

Established Member
Originally posted by Bingo13
73.5" without and 74" with the idler.

Cool...so basically, I can use the belt I'm using now on my 2.93 as long as I have the 100mm idler....Thanks!!

Voice of Reason

Established Member
Well, I've ordered a 74.5" from SFPHQ. Now I'll just have to cross my fingers that it's going to rid my car of the squeak. If it doesn't then I've spent $120 (total) on belts for nothing :(

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
why did you order the 74.5? You don't have an idler correct? A 74'' will fit and should be used, you don't want a bunch of belt dust from slippage right?

Bingo13

Established Member
Originally posted by Voice of Reason
Should I just order a 74.5" gatorback? I'm also using the extra 100mm idler pulley, so I'm guessing that's why I need the extra 0.5".

He is using the idler pulley so he needs the 74.5" belt. :)

Voice of Reason

Established Member
Originally posted by KevinJKD
why did you order the 74.5? You don't have an idler correct? A 74'' will fit and should be used, you don't want a bunch of belt dust from slippage right?

I do have an 100mm idler (see orig post).

Voice of Reason

Established Member
Originally posted by KevinJKD
Oh ok, I didn't see the edit.

The edit, which happened 2 min after my orig post and 4 before yours, was actually for me misspelling the word lasted (orig spelled lastet) in the second paragraph. I always had the part where I listed the 100mm idler.

Doesn't really matter though, with everyones help, including yours, I found the right belt. :beer: You answered my question in your first post, just in a round about way. :coolman:

Note: This edit is for me misspelling the word including (orig spelled includiny). Apparently I'm having a really hard time spelling things today :shrug:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread