Need Help with Fuel Pump Voltage and Need a Wiring Diagram

ShockTherapy

Established Member
OK, I was going to test fire my truck tonight. I got everything ready, primed the engine, pulled the fuel pump relays while I cranked it over and saw oil pressure on my gauge. Key off, relays back in. Now, when I turn the key on I get no fuel pressure. The pumps are not putting anything out. Here's a few things rmfreeze and I found when troubleshooting.

We pulled the pumps out to verify wiring that I hadn't forgotten to plug them in when I installed them, that was OK. But, when the key is turned on the pumps will only kind of click/hum for about 1/2 a second (sounds like they are "energizing"), then not do anything. We plugged a known good pump into the pickup harness and it does the same thing. When we checked the voltage at the main plug that plugs into the tank wiring, there is 6.8 volts on 2 different wires, those two wires are connected together inside some wire loom, and go into the tank as one wire which feeds the 2 pumps. If both pumps are disconnected, the voltage is 6.8 volts on the 2 plugs that actually plug into the pumps. If one pump is plugged in, the other plug has no voltage on it at all. It's almost like when a pump is plugged in it is grounding out or something. We tested one of the old pumps by jumpering it with 12V and it hums right along. The fuel level sending unit works fine. I can move it around and the gauge moves.

Can anyone tell me if there is supposed to be 12V supplied to the pumps? I guess I really need a wiring diagram to trace down the fuel pump wiring and find my problem. Another odd thing is that the grren "Cruise" light indication on the dash comes on when I turn the key OFF. Maybe it's related, maybe it's not.

I'D WIN

Established Member
Because our Lightnings have a high/low relay, you will only see partial voltage unless WOT is engaged.

Let me see if I still have my fuel pump wiring diagram around...

ShockTherapy

Established Member
OK, I figured it out. Just got back from jumpering the fuel relay. Weird thing was when I stuck the jumper in, the pumps immediately came on and my key was still off. When I turned the key on, the pumps went off. At that point I started looking at wiring. 1st thing I did was disconnect the engine harness to make sure my wiring on that wasn't causing some weird problem. That wasn't it. I ended up finding a ground wire that connected to the firewall behind the battery that was loose. Evidently when I put on my grounding kit, that wire had fallen off and couldn't be seen unless you were looking for it.

So now my Cruise light is off when the key is off, and when the pumps are jumpered they only come on when the key is turned on. I found one fuel leak, which was between my AN pressure fitting on the fuel pump pickup. Tightened that up and it should fire off 1st thing this afternoon. I would have fired it up after I fixed the problem but I didn't figure Robert wanted me to wake up his family and half the neighborhood. At least now I can go to bed knowing that problem is solved.

Users who are viewing this thread