need help with hood blanket mod!!!

LCCOBRA

Established Member
Almost done with the hood blanket mod and the foam striping is to thick and wondering what's another alterintive to FlexTrim??? Or somthing that I can use around the cut. I know this ? has problie been asked a mill times.

kgcobra03

Established Member
I tried the foam isulation from Home Depot but it came off around the corners after about 30 minutes. I went to a boating supply place and bought flrxible trim material. They usually have black and white. This has stayed on since installation. If you want a pic of the material and my hood let me know.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
I would just buy the FlexTrim for the $20 something dollars. It worked great for me. If you don't want to spend that much, try to find others to go in on it with you. Or someone here may have extra. I looked around and tried a foam product from Sears Hardware, but it didn't hold. I also tried a boating shop and an RV shop, but they didn't have anything that would work so I ordered the FlexTrim and was very happy with it.

jjksutton

Rookie for Life
Established Member
Home Depot sells a tape in the electrical section that will do the job (3M Scotch 2228 Rubber Mastic Tape, 1in.x10ft.x.065in). A better alternative, however, is to just remove the whole blanket. I removed the blanket and cut the covers off the vents. Absolutely no problems. I've checked the hood after a drive and it doesn't feel any hotter than it had before. I've been caught in crazy driving rain...no issues. I clean my engine bay with every wash (not detail, just clean) and I haven't noticed it being any more dirty after the blanket is gone.

Killer Cobra

Established Member
I took some small black vacuum hose, slit it down the middle and glued it to the cut outs. It looks good but I then decided to remove the blanket completely since I'm down in South Florida and it's just to damn hot..

Johnny Random

SVT Monster
Established Member
The flex trim leaked for me so I must have done something wrong with it. I then just coated all the edges with black high temp PCV stuff. Doesn't look the best because I didn't take my time and had it everywhere. But it doesn't leak anymore and that was main concern.

03 COBRA SB

Rocky Mtn. SVT Cobra
Established Member
i used the aluminum duct tape that you can buy at the hardware store in the heating dept. about @7.00 a roll, to much trouble trying to get the edge moulding on the blanket.

NXCobra

Established Member
I removed the entire blanket last year and put it in storage. I liked it when the hood was covered in snow and it slowly starts to melt around the vents.

redaddiction

Project Venom
Established Member
I would just remove the whole blanket because over time the blanket become useless it will get all nasty even if you dont drive it in the rain when you wash it it will get soaked so just trash the whole thing it saves weight also

LCCOBRA

Established Member
thanks for all the info

Is not ready to trash the blankie yet. Was reading up on painting the cobra letters and blanket. Any info on that would be great. I'm going to try and take back that stuff I got from lowes. Going to see if I can find that 3m rubber mastic tape.

Blades

Established Member
Get flextrim man. Is it really a matter of price? I wish u lived close to me. I have some on my desk right now. Make sure you remove the blanket to apply it. I learned this the hard way and wasted a good amount of "trim".

LCCOBRA

Established Member
is taking off the blankie

is going to leave the hood blanket off. I did pait it and looks ok but I noticed the engine not running as well after painting. Don't know if it's the heat or what but going to try it without it. Did notice that ford left tape yes tape under the hood were their is no paint afriad to take it off. I know a good body painter that will paint my hood for cheap. I also used paint engine enamel type paint. Would that have anything to do with the engine heat?

cito

Official Kumho Shredder
Established Member
Anybody thought of doing replacement grilles for the holes? Maybe something in a tough stainless steel mesh with stainless trim around the sides.

silvercoffin

Established Member
taking hood blanket off

Does anyone know if the CObra R came with a hood blanket?

Has anyone noticed more heat after removing the blanket or any discoloration in the hood paint?

My blanket already looks like shit cause of excessive washing and I was going to buy a new one and cut out the vents. If it doesnt make a difference Ill just take the thing off.

When I asked SVT about it, they said the hoodliner and vent covers are really there to keep too much water from entering the engine bay and they are right its works cause it soaks all the water up.....and then makes the pulley cover rust!:burnout:

MidLifeC

PCa Survivor
Established Member
Cito, funny you should say something about the trim around the vents. Snakebite showed up at the last GTG without his vents (see the Detroit area GTG pics). Someone suggested to Doug that might be another great product. I don't know if he is interested in foing that. That sounds more like something MGW or CDC would do.

sonic cobra

Established Member
I tried some door edge guard from pep boys for $6 but it started coming off almost immediately. Went to boat usa and got the flex trim and it worked perfectly and hasn't come off yet (5 months and 7000 miles) looks good as well

Users who are viewing this thread