need help with hood blanket mod!!!

silvercoffin

Established Member
Q

Do you take the entire insulator off to cut it or cut it while its on?

How do you get it off and back on again?

DO you need to buy new plastic pins to hold it on?

The reason I ask is because mine is so water damaged already I will probably go buy a new one first. Maybe I should practice doing the mod on the old first so I dont mess up the new one.

Thanks for anyones help...:beer:

Last edited:

jhwalker

Dead Poster Walking
Established Member
I did the marine flextrim.
The devil is in the details. Be careful not to rip or tear as you take the blankie off. Make a template so you can have these two holes identical in shape. Give it a nice shape and reverse it for the other side. Use sharp scissors.
Then open the flextrim up by running something thru it. Carefully (very) position it so the blankie is fully inserted into the trim. Crimp a couple of spots to hold it. Then carefully and precisely cut it and then crimp the the whole thang. Then finish the last beer in the sixpack as you reinstall the blankie.
It looks factory, IMNSHO.
JW

cito

Official Kumho Shredder
Established Member
Originally posted by MidLifeC
Cito, funny you should say something about the trim around the vents. Snakebite showed up at the last GTG without his vents (see the Detroit area GTG pics). Someone suggested to Doug that might be another great product. I don't know if he is interested in foing that. That sounds more like something MGW or CDC would do.

It seems like a natural to me. I love the hood, but think a nice shiny mesh, or black mesh, would look a lot better in the vents.

Snakebite

Proud Member of the MCT
Established Member
I removed the hood blanket and the plastic vents.

After drive time and the hood closed it feels like there is a blow drier pumping hot air out of the open vent holes now.

I dont drive it in the rain or the snow so the blanket and the vents are a non-issue.:thumbsup:

wicked03snake

Established Member
i took the blanket off and removed the vents completely. id be interested in some sort of replacement grill for the holes because my overactive friends feel like they need to reach in the holes to take my intercooler res. cap and coolant res. cap off when im not looking.

silvercoffin

Established Member
paint damage?

Here's a few more Questions...

Do you think that not having the hood liner will cause any paint damage?

Does the 03 cobra run much hotter than the CObra R making the hood liner more important to protect the paint on the hood?

I've had many people at the track say that the paint will become discolored from not having the hoodliner

jjksutton

Rookie for Life
Established Member
The engine's not getting the paint on the hood any hotter than the summer heat...trust me. I've taken the thing off, no problems. The hood doesn't feel any hotter than normal after a long drive. No problems with rain either, and I drive everyday.

LCCOBRA

Established Member
man

so hard to find that flex trim around ohio. Problie just going to call and order some in a little bit can't find any. As that darn hood blanket everyone tells me to leave it on because of heat issues/paint.

Fang

Established Member
I have experimented with the blanket on and off. There is a noticable difference in the temp of the hood. Just do it yourself. Take it off and be carefull of the holding pins not to destroy them. Remove the braided wireing (don't know what that is for). Run it for a while and see how hot your hood is on the top. I put it back on because of this. I did the hood mod with the Marine trim. Looks fantastic. Got it from Kpinco. Don't know where he got it.

jhwalker

Dead Poster Walking
Established Member
Originally posted by wicked03snake
i took the blanket off and removed the vents completely. id be interested in some sort of replacement grill for the holes because my overactive friends feel like they need to reach in the holes to take my intercooler res. cap and coolant res. cap off when im not looking.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
New friends, or new medication for them.
Rig up a rattrap in there...
JW;-)

Users who are viewing this thread