Need help with my starter problem

gofastl

Life's a garden- Dig It!
Established Member
I got my starter all hooked up and now my truck wont start, all it will do is click, so I swapped solenoids and it didnt work also checked the starter out and it passed. When it clicks all the lights shut off. Could it be a ground problem? Does anyone have pics or a wiring diagram of the starter?

Youngunn

Established Member
Are u sure u got all the cables hooked back up right? I've never changed a starter in a 5.4, but on the diesel engines I work on, if you hook up just one cable wrong, it won't work and it might blow a fuse.

Check the starter solenoid thing on the firewall on passenger side, and make sure u got 12 volts coming out of it when u crank. You can also jump it with a screwdriver or something. That would rule that out. After that check your connections at the starter, u just might have something not right.

But I'm sure some more guys that have more experience with these can give u some more help.

gofastl

Life's a garden- Dig It!
Established Member
I tried jumping it with a screwdriver and all it does is click down at the starter, iam gonna try to get a pic of it from the dealer later today so I can match the wiring up to it.

Robert Francis

Established Member
If your starter checks out as good - do make sure your battery is good. I had a similar problem 2 years ago and had a battery only 13 months old - but when I did a load check on it, it failed. A new battery solved my problem.

gofastl

Life's a garden- Dig It!
Established Member
Ya iam gonna go get my battery load tested here in a bit. Iam knocking on wood.

Users who are viewing this thread