NEED HELP with noise! video inside.

SkylerSVT

Established Member
UPDATED! NEED HELP with noise! video inside.

I bought this 04 with only 7500 miles on it. It has 8500 now. I know that the blower will whine but under low boost and low amounts of throttle my motor makes a chirping / ticking noise. It does it warm and cold and it is always there. So far the Ford dealers have told me it wasn't normal and then others said it was. :bash:

Please listen real close when watching the video. Your help is appreciated.

NEW BETTER SOUNDING VIDEO HERE: http://www.jaybquick.com/Movies/Em_Cobra_Noise_Best.wmv

Old video:
http://www.jaybquick.com/Movies/Em_Cobra_Noise_Final.wmv

Last edited:

jaybquick

Future Terminator *****
Established Member
I have had several blown cars and never heard this noise before.

We just want to make sure this ok or not. I am thinking not.

A direction would help since the techs and the Ford dealers seem confused.

Thanks everyone.

VETTEHUNTER

No cure for this disease.
Established Member
I really didn't hear anything out of the ordinary :shrug:
Does the sound seem to be coming from the engine bay or from the transmission. Some of these cars have Throw-Out bearing problems that lead to noise in some cases.

ITSTOCK

Established Member
Can you hear it at idle??

If so, push the clutch in, and tell us if you can hear it still. If it goes away, it's the t.o. bearing.

Other than that, I really don't know.

SkylerSVT

Established Member
ITSTOCK said:
Can you hear it at idle??

If so, push the clutch in, and tell us if you can hear it still. If it goes away, it's the t.o. bearing.

Other than that, I really don't know.

no noise at idle, only going down road from engine.

we will shoot another vid in a minute.

thanks

knowfreed0m

Blown Is Better
Established Member
Dont hear anything weird?? :shrug:

*HIJACK* I was wondering my car when crusing at 2-3k rpm does not have the boot gauge in the middle like yours, mine just sits at the bottem and dose not move unless I go FULL WOT ?? Anyone have a quick suggestion??

20-COBRA-03

Banned
I hear it man, that blows! sounds almost like our header leak, lol... but quieter! Hope u get her found out. Good luck,
Bob

knowfreed0m

Blown Is Better
Established Member
Oh Ya definatly noticeable now!

Hmm I hope its not engine/head related. Does it make anysound when at idle or is it only when driving?

jaybquick

Future Terminator *****
Established Member
knowfreed0m said:
Oh Ya definatly noticeable now!

Hmm I hope its not engine/head related. Does it make anysound when at idle or is it only when driving?

Fine at idle and NO load cruising. Only while driving.

We still have a warranty, I mainly wanted more feedback so I an be more assertive with Ford on fixing this darn thing.

VETTEHUNTER

No cure for this disease.
Established Member
That 2nd vid is much better. It really makes it sound exhaust related now, especially on the drive-bye.
Hope you get it figured out!!!

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Sounds like either a manifold leak. I had a similar problem. It will either be a leak at the exhaust port, or where the manifold connects to the mid-pipe...

ITSTOCK

Established Member
As stated, the 2nd vid is WORLDS better.

manifold to midpipe leak would be my best guess, HOWEVER....

it only does it when you are driving???? If it's an exhaust leak, you will hear it at idle.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Actually I didn't hear mine at idle, only when on got into it. I had everything tightened down, and all has been well since then.

jaybquick

Future Terminator *****
Established Member
ITSTOCK said:
As stated, the 2nd vid is WORLDS better.

manifold to midpipe leak would be my best guess, HOWEVER....

it only does it when you are driving???? If it's an exhaust leak, you will hear it at idle.

Yeah I can usually find exhaust leaks with free revving and my stethescope, not the case here. It is really chirpy not like a normal exhaust leak.

At least we know for sure now that it is not normal. We will be assertive next time we go to the dealer.

Thanks everyone.

crizzut

Established Member
here's a wild guess. my brother drives an older BMW that was making a similar sound in the vid. If its a rapid ticking you may want to try the head gasket, not sure though seeing as how these 2 cars are worlds apart.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
This is very funny, but yesterday evening I went to pick my cobra up from having the DFX and 26 spline installed. When they reinstalled the Mid-pipe, the gasket going from it to the manifold got messed up again, and about 30 seconds from the shop it blew out, and once again I had the ticking sound, the same one that you have in the video...I know that I posted that this happened to me before, I just thought it was funny that after this thread it happened again. And yes, it does sound exactly like what is heard in your vid. It is there waiting on a new gasket to come. Then I will have to wait for the weather to break before I can pick it up...My girl will not see rain. :)

-Jeff

forcefedcobra

Established Member
+1 on the collector leak. My car had a bad one when I purchased it. $12 for a new gasket from ford and it sounds fine now.

Users who are viewing this thread