need help with plugs

i8urSS

Established Member
I'm new to the SN-95 cobras. I was running NGK iridium plugs in my terminator and was wondering if those are good in these cars too? Didn't know if there was something that responded better in a NA cobra. I have 98 with 70k miles and basic bolt ons. CAI, LT's, O/R X and flowmasters. I also have MSD coil packs and wires if that makes a difference.

Just bought the car last week and it seems like its missing a little at idle and its def missing at WOT. So I figure I'll change the plugs and all the fluids just so I have a nice baseline of where the car is.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
The most recommended plug for a mild bolt-on, N/A car tends to be Autolite 764's with a gap of .054.

Personally, I'm going to bet it's the MSD coil-packs, though. They're somewhat notorious for poor performance and causing a miss. I would replace them with factory Ford replacement coil-packs.

Last edited:

THE RED 1

Wake up, piss excellence
Established Member
I use ngk tr-6's or tr-55 gapped at .035-.040 Im COP swapped using motorcraft coils. OEM> NOT OEM

THE RED 1

Wake up, piss excellence
Established Member
There's no need to run less than the stock 0.054" gap on a mild NA setup.[/QUOTE

Its funny cause I used to gap them at about .050 or so then one of my buddies swore up and down that's to big and recommended .035 so I gave that a shot LOL

i8urSS

Established Member
Thanks for all the info.

Are the coil packs the same on the GT and Cobra and when I replace them do I need to reset the computer or get it retuned or anything like that?

racecougar

MN12 parts guy
Established Member
Thanks for all the info.

Are the coil packs the same on the GT and Cobra and when I replace them do I need to reset the computer or get it retuned or anything like that?

The coil packs are the same between the 2V and 4V's. The later COP coils have the polarity reversed between the 2v and 4V's, IIRC. Replacing the coil packs does not require resetting adaptive or any changes to the tune file. If you're considering replacing them, I'd advise sticking with Motorcraft brand parts.

i8urSS

Established Member
Sweet. Just ordered a set of motorcrafts and frpp wires. Also picked up the autolites and gonna change it all out this weekend.

Then next week I'll have my gears swapped, throw out bearing replaced, firewall adjuster and steeda quadrant installed. Then I'll throw on my o/r h and that should tie me over for a couple of days hopefully.

Thanks for all the help.

Users who are viewing this thread