Need help with transmission problem!

immortalstang

Established Member
I just rebuilt my transmission and putted everything back together. I can row through the gears when the motor is not on ,but not when its on. I try to put it into any gear with no sucess. Its hard as a brick wall. The shifter will just refuse to go into gear. Does anyone know what kind of problem I might be having? I suspect maybe it can be the clutch not being put back on right, or the throwout bearing isn't adjusted correctly.

SnakeBite98

HIGH-REV HORROR
Established Member
when you row through the gears with the car off, is the clutch pushed in? If not it sounds like a clutch issue.

SNAKEYE

Established Member
immortalstang said:
I just rebuilt my transmission and putted everything back together. I can row through the gears when the motor is not on ,but not when its on. I try to put it into any gear with no sucess. Its hard as a brick wall. The shifter will just refuse to go into gear. Does anyone know what kind of problem I might be having? I suspect maybe it can be the clutch not being put back on right, or the throwout bearing isn't adjusted correctly.
The clutch faces are not symmetrical on the center hub. Quite possibly you put it in backwards and it is binding the input shaft. You're gonna have to pull the tranny to find out!

immortalstang

Established Member
SnakeBite98 said:
when you row through the gears with the car off, is the clutch pushed in? If not it sounds like a clutch issue.

Yes, The clutch is pushed in when rowing through the gears. One other note. I added JBA shorties to the engine along with polyurathane mounts. The header was touching the bushing on the steering shaft, so we shimmed the motor mount up about 0.28" for clearance. Now the engine runs real rough. I don't know if this would also affect the clutch and transmission. Maybe the shims are causing vibration and tranny issue? The engine was running smooth before the shim, but I can't comment on the tranny because the shifter was not installed for the initial engine startup.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread