Need info on California Smog!

cobra101

Established Member
Hi,

Well, finally 7 years in they want me to smog. Here's my short (hopefully) story.

I believe my o2 sensors have been shot for some time. the check engine lights been on for years, no ill affects, it runs great.

I have stock cats and all only cat back (mufflers). I should be blowing clean air through my 4 cats (resonators).

Question, Can i unplug battery to get engine light off and get it smogged?

Will it show up as bad? my cats still clean air so why should it matter if a engine light is on?

any opinions? any have to deal with this?

-Kevin

Ps. I do NOT want to do o2 sensor right now.

AMB

Established Member
California Smog

You have to get the Front O2's replaced and CLEAR the codes, to pass SMOG!!!:thumbsup:

wjurls

More money than brains
Established Member
Do you know for sure that it's an O2 code giving you the CEL? If you unplug the battery for about 10 minutes it will reset the code but you will fail smog because you won't pas the OBD2 readiness test until X# of drive cycles have been completed. By then the CEL will prolly be back. You need to scan your cars computer and see what is really going on. EGR problems will also give a CEL without driveability problems.

Big D's 03

Established Member
I believe they are around $45-50 from Tousley Ford. At least thats what they were when I bought them about 3 months ago. And I would strongly suggest not using Bosch. I had them in my car and it made my car run pretty rough. And its a matter of a few minutes under the car to replace them.

Users who are viewing this thread