Need info on tires please

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Guys,

I am finally getting my car back, supposedly next Wednesday, after 6 months in the shop. :cuss: First priority is to find some good tires for it. I want a tire that hooks as well as the Nittos at my power level (444/439), but hopefully has better wet traction. I love the Nittos, but after my accident, I'm not so sure I want to drive them in the rain anymore. I've heard good things about the GSDS3's and Pilots, but I'm worried that they are going to have significantly worse dry traction than the Nittos. Anyone have some real street tires that they've run that compare to the Nittos for dry traction?

Thanks in advance

smrtasp

Established Member
Im going with pilot sports when my F1's are done. A buddy of mine has a Z06 that just replaced his F1's with pilot sports. The pilot sports should stick better and cost less than the F1's. I dont race my car so I have no need for drag tires like Nittos.

tv's 03

Established Member
Your gonna be hard pressed to find anything, because that is what Nittos are designed for...dry traction

But I do like Firestone SZ 50's. Excellent in the rain, good dry traction. But they are not gonna hook like any drag radial, nor will any pure street tire imho.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
I personally would get the Nitto's again... I don't belive any tires compare.

SVTCobra2001

Cone Crasher
Established Member
Get the new Hoosier rain tire.. R compound with a Dot rating and designed for Rain..

KeefCobra

Established Member
BFG kd

Looks better than ther Goodyear D-3, wider than the nitto DR and hooks great on the street. As good as the nitto and is an inch and a half wider.
KeefCobra:beer:

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Re: BFG kd

Originally posted by KeefCobra
Looks better than ther Goodyear D-3, wider than the nitto DR and hooks great on the street. As good as the nitto and is an inch and a half wider.
KeefCobra:beer:

Any idea how it does in the rain? I read a review on discount tire that said they sucked in the rain :(

KeefCobra

Established Member
I have had the KD's one week and am impressed. It has not rained yet, but I suspect not great in the rain

ModsAway

Established Member
I do not know personally but from reading this type of thread a few times I get the impression:

BFG are better dry and worse wet traction then the NITTO.

Todd03Blown

Established Member
Kumho MX.....I had them on my 01 cobra, getting ready to put them on my 03 as well awesome tire wet and dry. Read the tests on tirerack.com to see what I am referring to.

SVT4J

This isn't the autobahn?
Established Member
IMHO the more a tire tries to be a jack of all trades - the more you give up dry traction. Drag radials will not be equaled by "street tires" in dry straight-line traction. If you a want a tire that is quite good when its rain or shine then GS-D3's, AVS Sports, Pilot Sports, or MX's are the way to go. The MX's are quite like the BFG KD's, not a whole lot of mileage to be had.

I would not run an R compound race tire on the street. :nonono:

Last edited:

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
As stated above, it's all about trade offs. Drag radials of course offer great traction in the dry. GSD3s or others of that type offer good traction in the rain but will spin more easily than DRs in the dry. I think you have to decide where and when you will be driving and what is more important to you. Do you want to get DRs and then nurse it if it rains? Or do you want to get GSD3s [or whatever] and not worry about the rain but have to ease it into first and second when it is dry?

It's all up to you deciding which you want more, Brian. Anyways, congrats on [finally] getting your car back! :beer:

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by flyn high again
As stated above, it's all about trade offs. Drag radials of course offer great traction in the dry. GSD3s or others of that type offer good traction in the rain but will spin more easily than DRs in the dry. I think you have to decide where and when you will be driving and what is more important to you. Do you want to get DRs and then nurse it if it rains? Or do you want to get GSD3s [or whatever] and not worry about the rain but have to ease it into first and second when it is dry?

It's all up to you deciding which you want more, Brian. Anyways, congrats on [finally] getting your car back! :beer:

Thanks man. :coolman: It's not back yet, they may still postpone me again, but I'm hoping for the best. I guess I am just going to go with the Nittos again, then. I'd rather nurse it in the rain than nurse it all the time. With the stock goodyears, the car would spin until 60, which is fun until you lose it. At least now I know how abruptly and dramatically those Nittos will lose traction, so maybe I can keep from having to live through the same mistake :(

Users who are viewing this thread