need more horsepower!

98svtdroptop

98droptop
Established Member
Im wanting to get some more horsepower out of my daily driver, 98 cobra. Should i just try to find a used supercharger, or build the motor? I would rather just build motor, but have no idea what all you can do to them! Anybody know good setups?

98svtdroptop

98droptop
Established Member
I don't wanna spend a lot of money. I would like 350-400 at the wheels. The closer to 400 the better.

pacific4v

Established Member
Get a non intercooled s-trim. That'll be the easiest and least expensive way to get high 300 rwhp range. At that hp level you wouldn't need to go crazy on ur fuel system or maf sensor. And it shouldn't effect your mpg much when ur outta boost.

slow2v

GONE
Established Member
then just use the stock motor and buy a blower....not hard to hit 400 with a little boost

98svtdroptop

98droptop
Established Member
Yea, i would love a supercharger....but that is 5k. I was just wondering if you could build the motor or 1 or 2k.

pacific4v

Established Member
U can buy a built shortblock from mmr for less than $2,000. That's not gonna gain u any hp unless u up the compression ratio. If ur referring to n/a hp, its gonna cost a lot to make 400rwhp. U can buy a used non intercooled s-trim and piece together a fuel system for less than $2,000. Depending on the deal u get on parts, you might be able to get everything and even get tuned for less than $2,000.

98BABCobra

Established Member
Like others have said, you will spend a lot more time/money/effort making 400hp N/A. Easiest way will be to boost it.

98BABCobra

Established Member
Sorry, I don't me to hijack the thread here, but a couple of you have recommended a non-intercooled vortech set-up. Is a non I/C set-up safe for a mild 400-450hp set-up?

pacific4v

Established Member
and then end up paying another 2grand to have another company rebuild it :nonono:

Well it was just a suggestion since I've seen them advertise them on here for like $1700. I will say they built the shortblock that has been in my car since before i bought it. Its a forged 5.0 stroker with about 50,000 miles on it.

slow2v

GONE
Established Member
Well it was just a suggestion since I've seen them advertise them on here for like $1700. I will say they built the shortblock that has been in my car since before i bought it. Its a forged 5.0 stroker with about 50,000 miles on it.

how much power?

goats

Fast whitey
Established Member
Add a v2 blower along with a fuel pump and 42 lbs inj and get a tune and call it a day.

bholtkamp53

Established Member
look around ebay or craigslist and see if there are any sweeet deals on superchargers taken off with low miles on them. Just earlier today i found a 1.5L kenny bell twin screw for like $1900

Users who are viewing this thread