Need opinions about car a has been sitting for awhile.

ZeroFear

Banned
I own a 96 buick riviera with 108K miles that i got as a gift two years ago. It had just came home from geting a full checkup at a buick dealership and ran fine. I never drove it because because I had a motercycle and used my moms truck to save on insruance.

It sat in my driveway and just slept for 2 years. I now need a car and was wondering what bad stuff could happen if i put in a new battery, change the oil, and then start it and drive it. My friend who is a mechanic was telling me the car is prolly worthless now and tons of stuff prolly rotted away.

Anyone with comments please post your thoughts.

PonyFever

'03 DSG vert 3816 of 5082
Established Member
You're just gonna have to check it out and see how it does. I had a '73 Ranchero I let sit in the backyard for 2+ years. No flat tires. Changed the oil, charged the battery and she was good as new. No leaks, nothing fell off and I sold her to a neighbor a year later and last I knew she was still going strong. Good luck.

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
Probably ok. If it sits for too long and then immediately starts up, oil could have cleared off some of the components so you would have metal-on-metal contact when it fires. That would be bad. Maybe take out the fuel pump fuse or something and just let it crank for a minute to get the internals coated in oil.

svt32v99

Suck it!
Established Member
I would pour a teaspoon of Marvel Mystery Oil down each spark plug hole and let it sit for 30 minutes before firing up.

ezernut9mm

CHAINED BLUE LIGHTNING!
Established Member
make sure you put some fresh gas in it along with some kind of additive and change the filter after you put a few miles on it.

Users who are viewing this thread