Need part number help....

bda1855

Member of the Boosted16
Established Member
So i know this isnt a lightning part number but its an F-150...

My uncle has a Check Engine Light P0171 and P0174, dealer told him his intake gaskets are leaking and then told him it would be about $800 to fix it..

to which i laughed and told him i would do it for some beer money...

Problem is i cant seem to find a definite list of the part number for the needed gaskets.

I know that Fordparts.com has 2 part numbers listed for the lower intake, a right and a left...

but when i go onto napa the napa part is a single kit with what looks like left and right as well as a front and back gasket....

so anyone know what i will really need... ?

Can i just run a fat bead of RTV on the front and the back of the valley like you do on a SBC?

Also.. any part numbers for the upper intake manifold gaskets or plenum gaskets?

he needs to pass smog and the CEL is killing him... already replaced the gas cap which i assume was giving the (small) EVAP leak code...

thanks

bda1855

Member of the Boosted16
Established Member
im at work... so i can post whore like a mugg but cant sit on the phone... FTL

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
What engine does he have?

If it's a mod motor there is only a left and a right gasket. There is no front or rear like a 302/351.

If it's a 5.4 check the PCV hose on top of the upper intkae right behind the throttle body. They are pretty famous for getting sucked in under the throttle body cover.

bda1855

Member of the Boosted16
Established Member
What engine does he have?

If it's a mod motor there is only a left and a right gasket. There is no front or rear like a 302/351.

If it's a 5.4 check the PCV hose on top of the upper intkae right behind the throttle body. They are pretty famous for getting sucked in under the throttle body cover.

its a 4.2L

and the codes are showing up for both right and left banks... anything i can check on those?

wicked90lx

Established Member
give me the last 8 of the VIN and i can give any part numnber you need, just give me a list. Or atleast year

Last edited:

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
I never get to work on the V6. The only thing that I can tell you aside from lower intaker gaskets is get a can of Gum Cutter and lightly spray the intake and hoses in short quick bursts. Listen for RPM change. Where ever the leak is it will suck in the vapors and change the idle speed.

If it is on both banks then both of the lower gaskets would need to be leaking. If it was just one gasket that was bad it would only set a lean code for one of the banks. Not saying that they are not leaking but I'd check above the lower intake first.

bda1855

Member of the Boosted16
Established Member
I never get to work on the V6. The only thing that I can tell you aside from lower intaker gaskets is get a can of Gum Cutter and lightly spray the intake and hoses in short quick bursts. Listen for RPM change. Where ever the leak is it will suck in the vapors and change the idle speed.

If it is on both banks then both of the lower gaskets would need to be leaking. If it was just one gasket that was bad it would only set a lean code for one of the banks. Not saying that they are not leaking but I'd check above the lower intake first.

Yeah ill have to try that...

gum cutter? would carb cleaner work? or maybe starting fluid?

i will start with the easy stuff like the TB area and work towards the lower intake manifold gaskets.

bgstew6

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
Established Member
I dont use WD LOL dont like the oily residue it leaves on everything......

bda1855

Member of the Boosted16
Established Member
I dont use WD LOL dont like the oily residue it leaves on everything......

Word! i got 4-5 cans of carb cleaner on sale this weekend for my engine cleaning... ill pull one out tonight and give it a squirt... thanks mates!

Users who are viewing this thread