Need pics and thoughts about the ViS Carbon Fiber 03/04 Cobra heat extractor hood pls

NeoTokyo

Established Member
Heya everyone;

I decided to sell my stock 03/04 Cobra hood because its heavy as hell and it shakes on my car but doesnt seem to on my friends car. No other hoods shake on my car.

I have an 01' so I guess that could be a problem?

I had a hard time finding the answer to this, but to run the 03/04 hood did I need the header panel and hood latch? I was never able to get mine to line up right/latch correctly. Would I need the same for the ViS or Cervini? Is that all I would need?

I have been looking at the ViS Carbon fiber 03/04 Cobra heat extractor hood and wanted to know a few things about it and get the thoughts of those who have had a ViS hood or this one exactly.

I am doing AutoX this year and maybe some OT at Hallett so saving weight is important to me but being safe is too (The hood pin question.) From what I have read, the stock Terminator hood is 34lbs and the ViS is 22lbs.

Here is the link I found for it on Amazon.
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/99-04-Mustang-Carbon-Fiber-EXTRACTOR/dp/B00197SHU8]Amazon.com: VIS 99-04 Ford Mustang Carbon Fiber Hood HEAT EXTRACTOR: Automotive[/ame]

I know this isnt a TRUE CF hood but its still on my list because of cost and weight. Really its between the ViS and the Cervini.

Could everyone post pics of their ViS hoods and Cervini too if you have it, I al really interested to see under hood shots on how they are finished, shots of the latch and shots of the hinges oh and shots of the T section between the vents.

The stock 03/04 Cobra hood isnt bonded there and I think I might be having some hood shake issues from that too. I know A LOT of people have had the hood shake issue, mine was not able to be resolved with the general fixes.

Here are some numbered questions I have about the ViS.

1.) How well does the ViS clear/gell coat hold up in the sun?
2.) Does this one need hood pins even though its fully finished? Why? The car is Autocrossed, I havnt ran Hallett yet but I think pins are required anyways.
3.) How strong is this? I have had Cervinis hoods (SN95 Stalker and New Edge 00R) before and really like how strong they are, the 03/04 Cervinis glass version is the other one I am thinking about.
4.) If the factory clear isnt enough protection then what kind of clear should I use? Some is going to be painted while leaving some CF to show.
5.) Do the stock 03/04 vents fit in the hood? I have seen some with mesh and some with the stock vents but how well do they fit?
6.) Is this the same size as the 03/04 Cobra meaning its best to use with the 03/04 front bumper? Is the Cervinis glass the same too?
7.) The new hoods look black but used ones look Army Green/Brown... Is that from Sun fade? Are they black when you get them?
8.) Was the weight I found correct? How much does the Cervini version weigh?

Thanks guys, I am sorry about the long post and all the questions but I just want to make the right choice between the Cervinis and the ViS.

Here is the stock Terminator hood on my 01'
I am still undecided about my bumper, 99/01 or 03/04.
I know the 03/04 will not have a gap at the post but I prefer the 99/01 which is why I asked about the lengths of them.

5148429690_82ecdfda4c_b.jpg

My original hood. (I dont have any of my car with the 00R hood.)

4630116463_ef54560ac8_b.jpg

NeoTokyo

Established Member
Yes, I am ditching the headlights btw for a set of stock cobra ones. :D
They are heavy and ugly even though they are very functional as far as lighting the road up really well.

As far as needing the 03/04 Cobra header panel and latch, I thought they were all the same but someone put it into my head that they might be different and now I just dont know.

Thanks again guys.

-Eric-

ammizabad

Established Member
yes i hav owened 3 cobra r hoods and 1 heat extractor all from VIS what would u like to know

Last edited:

NeoTokyo

Established Member
Could you post some pics of the underside of the hood, where the latch is and of the hinges?

Pretty much everything in my post covers everything I want to know. :D

Naw, I havnt sold mine yet. I am open to offers but have it listed locally for $600 for that "Just in Case" factor. Ya never know. :p

NeoTokyo

Established Member
Picture1392.jpg

Now thats a damn fine pic.
I see that you have the stock vents in there, how well did they fit and stay in?

Do you have more pics you can post, maybe of the underside and if you feel it needs hood pins?

Thanks! :dancenana:

Last edited:

greengt88

Established Member
i know the carbon fiber looks good, but i'd highly recommend painting over it. Won't take long and it'll start to turn whitish and possibly crack. Florida sun ruins stuff amazingly fast.

kratos2250

Established Member
Well, I sold it right after I bought the car, put the stock one back on. It just wasn't my style. I don't have anymore pics of it, but everything fit perfect. Kinda wish I had another one.

NeoTokyo

Established Member
I am going to semi-paint mine but I wanted to find out if there was a better UV clear that would keep it from turning yellow.

If there isnt a better UV clear out there that will protect it then I will just go full Black with the vent wakes painted Silver fading back to black just before the cowl.

Kratos2250 did you notice if it was much lighter than the stock hood?

kratos2250

Established Member
I am going to semi-paint mine but I wanted to find out if there was a better UV clear that would keep it from turning yellow.

If there isnt a better UV clear out there that will protect it then I will just go full Black with the vent wakes painted Silver fading back to black just before the cowl.

Kratos2250 did you notice if it was much lighter than the stock hood?

So much lighter than the stock hood. I'd have to say at least 30lbs lighter.

Zimm11

Established Member
yes i hav owened 3 cobra r hoods and 1 heat extractor all from VIS what would u like to know

im very interested in putting an 01 Cobra R hood on my car. where did you get your R hoods and which was the best (fitment, shipping, cost, customer service, ect)? also how much to have them painted?

NeoTokyo

Established Member
So much lighter than the stock hood. I'd have to say at least 30lbs lighter.

Thats awesome to hear, some people were saying that they figured it wouldnt be lighter because of the core construction.

Oh yeah, I love Tiger Racing's stuff but untill they make a latched hood I am out.
I have also been through that thread and the Stock Termi mod hood thread a few times too. :D

doesn't look too bad... i like!

Yup, for sure it looks great.
My wife hates carbon fiber though.

im very interested in putting an 01 Cobra R hood on my car. where did you get your R hoods and which was the best (fitment, shipping, cost, customer service, ect)? also how much to have them painted?

Your looking for a 00R hood, not an 01R.
That might be why you cant find it. :D

If you like the Double stack cowl style then thats a 95R hood.

Users who are viewing this thread