Need Pipe help!

COBRA_N_BULLITT

I have an 85 GT and I need a complete exhaust from headers back. Someone before me has got straight pies exiting in front of the rear tires. I want to replace it with rear exit but do I need cats? Or can I just do the straight pipes with mufflers. And what is "Cat-Back"? I've been looking at systems in catalogs but im still confused. Also is there something about the cross member not being correct on an 85 for true dual?:007::

key

Established Member
I know nothing about '85s, but "Cat-back" means that it is a complete system from the "cats" back. ie The system comes with mufflers, tailpipes, and everything else you need.

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
You can run with a (H or X) midpipe & then a catback exhaust kit after the headers...
-you may or may not want/need catalytic converters though; this will depend on your state laws and if you would like to be friendly towards the environment....do a search on mustang exhaust shops for fox body stangs...

wheelspin

Established Member
Ok, here's the straight dope. You need the FMS or FRPP or whatever they call themselves today ;-) double hump adjustable crossmember. Unless to dude before you got it. Look at the tranny x member. Is there one hump on the left and one on the right? If there is only one you need it. This will allow you to use an h-pipe and exhaust from an 87 an up car. Get an off road H if you live in a smog free area, or a cat H if you live in a smog nazi area. (Or if you like to be eco-concious I guess.) Get a cat back for an 87-93 LX (NOT GT) stang. The GT exhaust is NOT better, it just exits different because of the rear bumper cover. You do not need to worry about that, because your rear bumper cover is the same as the LX rear bumper. you will need the various and sundry hangers and such for an 87-93 car. Everything else should be no sweat.

P.S.: I have an 82 Gt. I have the double hump xmember, and I have dual exhaust. I have done this. :D

Oh, and if you don't have headers yet, get them now too.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
You tell 'em wheelie! The GT's from that year didn't have a true dual exhaust. Good info about all the pertinent pieces needed.:rolling:

Users who are viewing this thread