Need pistons and misc. items

SVTPaul

Established Member
Hey Jared,

I'm looking to put together an order and I think Lethal should be pretty competitive on this one. I tried PMing you but your inbox was full. This is for my 2004 Cobra. I need pistons in .020" over with 17cc dish to keep 8.5:1 compression. I have been doing a lot of research in this area and I believe Diamond seem to be the best. Looking at the Diamond catalog the 17cc ones they have are listed for Modular stroker engines. I obviously don't have a stroker so are these the ones I would need? I was originally going to go with the ModMax (CP) units. Can you offer any advice in this area?
I will also need a set of ARP2000 rod bolts and ARP head studs. Are there other fasteners I should replace as well? I haven't decided if I'll do the billet oil pump gears...sounds uneccessary to me. The only other thing I can think of right now is the upgraded TOB Retainer sleeve. It sounds to me like the forged steel Lethal version is better than the McLeod one so that's the one I would want.
Do you recommend doing any other upgrades while my engine is apart? I would like to hear any advice you may have. Sorry for the lengthy message and thanks for your time!!
Regards,
Paul

2003Slobra

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Paul,

Is there any way you can give me a call at the office? You just have some questions we can answer over the phone instead of long long paragraphs.

If not, let me know and I will send over an email.

-Matt

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
SVTPaul said:
Hey Jared,

I'm looking to put together an order and I think Lethal should be pretty competitive on this one. I tried PMing you but your inbox was full. This is for my 2004 Cobra. I need pistons in .020" over with 17cc dish to keep 8.5:1 compression. I have been doing a lot of research in this area and I believe Diamond seem to be the best. Looking at the Diamond catalog the 17cc ones they have are listed for Modular stroker engines. I obviously don't have a stroker so are these the ones I would need? I was originally going to go with the ModMax (CP) units. Can you offer any advice in this area?
I will also need a set of ARP2000 rod bolts and ARP head studs. Are there other fasteners I should replace as well? I haven't decided if I'll do the billet oil pump gears...sounds uneccessary to me. The only other thing I can think of right now is the upgraded TOB Retainer sleeve. It sounds to me like the forged steel Lethal version is better than the McLeod one so that's the one I would want.
Do you recommend doing any other upgrades while my engine is apart? I would like to hear any advice you may have. Sorry for the lengthy message and thanks for your time!!
Regards,
Paul

Paul,

Hopefully you've gotten a hold of Matt already but if not please call us anytime from 10am-5pm which is the best time to reach us.

In regards to a few of your questions and concerns I'll do the best to help you out. Keep in mind I am in no way an engine builder and only give recommendations from information I've learned from professionals such as Al Papitto, Bart Tobener and more..

For the pistons we recommend the CP/Modmax Piston or the Diamonds or most applications. Al uses CP exclusively and of course there's no reason to question him why as he's one of the most reputable engine builders in the industry.

I usually always recommend the CP's for that matter..

If you're going with a new block you don't necessarily need the 20 over as that will obviously lessen the life of the block if a rebuild is ever needed. So by keeping the stock bore you don't give up much but you'll gain a rebuild.

If it's a used block of course there's no harm done to go the 20 over as you'll most likely want to clean that block up from its prior use anyway.

For the TOB sleeve I do feel ours is a superior product due to it's material as well as the genuine Tremec seal and O-Ring. I don't know what our competitors use for them but atleast I know whats in ours!

ARP hardware is a must. I wouldn't reinstall a rod or head without installing the ARP stuff first. All of Al's motors use ARP fasteners for everything..

For the oil pump I would just go with a high output Ford Racing Cobra pump or one of the new Melling pumps which we have. Once again Al uses the FRPP HO Oil Pump in all of his Cobra blocks. The mellings have a very good reputation for performing well and that why we carry them.

Besides that you'll need new rod bearings and main bearings.

Hope that helps. Jared

SVTPaul

Established Member
Hey Jared,

Thanks for getting back to me. Yes, I have talked to Matt about this and a quote has been put together. I have personally decided on Diamond pistons should I go through with a rebuild. There are a few things I was wondering about them that I forgot to ask Matt. Please check your PM's.

Thanks again,
Paul

Users who are viewing this thread