Need professional advise

GUNMETAL-SHO

Established Member
To all my fellow SHO owners or anyone that knows about SHO's
I was giving it to a cobra owner on the expressway and I guessthe work Ive done to my SHO was too much for the motor
mounts they gave away and my engine dropped.
Anything special I should do before I attempt to repair the vehicle? If anyone knows helpful information please reply.

Twisted99

Established Member
Are you talkin` bout the subframe mounts? If so there is/was a recall on them in the rust belt....I think New York qualifies. If it's the motor mounts buy new ones and put them in yourself. The stock one's tend to tear from side steppin` the clutch. Do you have a spot rubbed into the hood insulation pad on the passenger side of the intake runner? Good indication of torn front mount. Raise your hood.....set the parking brake and slip the clutch..if your motor moves excessively..jumps back toward you...it is torn...Pull the inner front left fender and the lower radiator hose...the roll shock and replace the motro mount. Inspect the rear one...probably will be ok... You can buy performance ,solid instead of rubberized. More Noise and harsher ride but better feedback and stouter .......

Last edited:

GUNMETAL-SHO

Established Member
Who else could I contact?

:(
I contacted my dealer they informed me that. My vehicle(SHO)was in for service last year (which it was) But they claimed to have performed the work on the subframe. My team took a look under the vehicle and the bolts that hold the subframe on are still in tact to the subframe but came apart from the car and now my poor engine is sitting on its lower backside.
I also contacted Ford customer service relations and they gave me the run around saying that it was documented that the work was done in may of last year and that my 12 month/ 12000mi
warranty was up, even though I store the car during the winter months , what could I possibly do to cure my problem.

Twisted99

Established Member
Request a copy of the documentation. Insist that if the work was performed then the parts were inadequate....Ask to speak with the reginal rep...call the Ford customer service line...or buy new mounts..jack up the subframe...install the new hardware.....continue to go after the Ford fix.....

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
If we are talkinga bout the SF Bushings, to tell if the recall was done (at least from what I know) they have to drill holes in the floor in the rear where they bolt check into that. On my 90, they said it was done, so I paid a local Ford Tech (who himself is a SHOnut) replaced for about 110, that was including parts. Very Very common....and the recall IIRC came out around 93 so it possibly could have been done, and its time for new ones.

GUNMETAL-SHO

Established Member
My problems

:rollseyes :rollseyes :cryying:
The dealer didnt honor it so were going to have to fight it later?
I got it fixed .The rack was 300 dollars due to the core being broke, right where the Knucle of the steering column plugs to connect to the rack. I got a reinforcment kit for the subrame, new subframe mounts ,new motor mounts,outer tie rod ends.etc. etc.
But now I have another problem the steering is non responsive, loose feeling(no tightness at all ) it even gets stuck sometime if the wheel is turned to the left(what could that be) This is a problem that I have never experienced on any vehicle. It almost feels like it could be stripped (the knucle into the rack and pinion)
To me this is the most important feature to the vehicle because if
you dont have control over a SHO it could be very dangerous.
Has anyone ever heard of this type of thing, or even if you know what I taking about, help me out.

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
Re: My problems

Originally posted by GUNMETAL-SHO
:rollseyes :rollseyes :cryying:
The dealer didnt honor it so were going to have to fight it later?
I got it fixed .The rack was 300 dollars due to the core being broke, right where the Knucle of the steering column plugs to connect to the rack. I got a reinforcment kit for the subrame, new subframe mounts ,new motor mounts,outer tie rod ends.etc. etc.
But now I have another problem the steering is non responsive, loose feeling(no tightness at all ) it even gets stuck sometime if the wheel is turned to the left(what could that be) This is a problem that I have never experienced on any vehicle. It almost feels like it could be stripped (the knucle into the rack and pinion)
To me this is the most important feature to the vehicle because if
you dont have control over a SHO it could be very dangerous.
Has anyone ever heard of this type of thing, or even if you know what I taking about, help me out.
maybe you have a bad bushing on the tierod end, jack up each wheel and see if the tire wiggles ........

RI-SHO

Established Member
If the wheel is turned one way and you let it go and just keep going straight onto the tur will steering return to the center? Or will it stay locked where you let ur hands go on it? If it stays there, there defitnaly something not aligned properly. Have you had it looked at yet?

GUNMETAL-SHO

Established Member
Which bushings?

:bash:
I was told that there is a bushing for the transaxle, or that it could be the motor mounts. when I turn the wheel to the left it gets caught up on something and I have to yank it back into place
it does need a wheel alignment, it has toes in syndrome, it needs
ball joint/control arm package, someone please advise me on some heavy duty bushings and any other parts i'll need for my front end. I can gladly say that when this step is done I have built a SHO from the ground up.
Thank you everyone for your patience with me and my problem.

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
If you lack the money, you can mostl likely reaplce the bushing on the inner tie rod end and be ok.......... just a thought, not for certain though.

-Zach

Users who are viewing this thread