Need some A/C help... High pressure switch question...?

robby5323

Established Member
Well, my IAC was causing me trouble... Very erratic idle, CELs, the whole bit... Yesterday, the A/c quit blowing cold. I thought the IAC was just sending some wrong info to the low pressure switch. So, I got my new IAC installed and put on a new low pressure switch. The compressor still wouldn't kick on.... So, I started checking the high pressure switch. I unplugged it and put the connector back in the switch a little and the compressor clutch kicked on... If you do this, or wiggle the connector around in the switch the compressor clutch will kick on and stay on for (3) or (4) seconds, then shut off. The air blows cold when the compressor clutch kicks in... Bad switch...? If so, how do I change it...? It looks like I will loose all the R134...? I have one can already and a way to fill the system...

robby5323

Established Member
I took a chance and went ahead and took the high pressure switch off... It has a schrader valve just like the low side switch. However, the new high pressure switch didn't fix the problem... So, I am at a complete loss.... Any suggestions...?

robby5323

Established Member
I can jump the low or the high switch and the clutch will engauge for a few seconds then shut off... All conections check good.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I can jump the low or the high switch and the clutch will engauge for a few seconds then shut off... All conections check good.

It doesn't stay engaged as long as the switch is jumped?

If it does, try to add the can of R134a
Sounds like it may be low.

robby5323

Established Member
Nope, either just plugged in or jumped, the clutch only enguages for a few seconds.... Compressor clutch gone bad...? It's got about 90,000 miles on it and I have had a couple of weeks of the sticking RPM syndrome. Maybe that put alot of stress on the compressor...? Or, the CCRM has went bad...?

Last edited:

COBRASVT

Established Member
Not sure at this point because the compressor should stay on when you jump it. That's how you add 134 when it's to low to kick on by itself. I'd say it's the compressor, but then again, it's not locked up so not sure. Can you turn it fairly easily when the car is off? You should be able to. If it's very stiff, then it may be going out and about to lock. My thoughts. as I'm no a/c expert, but I've had to work on mine enough that I should be. :)

robby5323

Established Member
Can you turn it fairly easily when the car is off? You should be able to. If it's very stiff, then it may be going out and about to lock. My thoughts. as I'm no a/c expert, but I've had to work on mine enough that I should be. :)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the clutch moves competely free... No stiffness at all... I'm going to order a new CCRM and see if that fixes it... I don't know what else it could be...

tt54l32v

Established Member
Yeah, the clutch moves competely free... No stiffness at all... I'm going to order a new CCRM and see if that fixes it... I don't know what else it could be...[/QUOTE]

prob not the ccrm if it comes on and goes off then the relay is good. the pressure is not right you need to get some guages on it, try jumping the high and low and see if it will stay on a little longer. but dont leave it on to long if there is somthing wrong you will pop the pressure release.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
prob not the ccrm if it comes on and goes off then the relay is good. the pressure is not right you need to get some guages on it, try jumping the high and low and see if it will stay on a little longer. but dont leave it on to long if there is somthing wrong you will pop the pressure release.

I agree on probably not the CCRM but

It doesn't stay engaged as long as the switch is jumped?

Nope, either just plugged in or jumped, the clutch only enguages for a few seconds....

robby5323

Established Member
I took off the CCRM and cleaned the connections. Connected it back up, fired it up and still nothing. So, I took a screwdriver and gave the CCRM a few "raps" and what do you know... The clutch enguaged and it cooled just like before. Turned off the A/C up at the switch inside the car, still worked. So, I started putting it back together and just the moving it around and bumping it against the wheel well caused it to quit again. Hit it a few times again with the screwdriver... This time, no dice. It did make the car miss a little... Unplugged the CCRM and plugged it back in, idle is fine. I am going to order a new CCRM Monday. I don't know what else it could be... Oh, by the way, the CCRM has been replaced before by the previous owner. It looks like it probably came from a salvage yard. So, who knows how many miles it had on it when it was installed.

Users who are viewing this thread