need some advice on when to install a new clutch

piss&vinegar

Seek and Destroy
Established Member
My pilot bearing squeaks when cold. Well, I think it is my pilot bearing. When I crank up my car in the morning I hear a squeaking noise. When I put my foot on the clutch pedal and press it down the sound goes away. When I let the pedal up the sound comes back. I did some looking around and it seems that it may be my pilot bearing. Once the vehicles has been driven and warmed up the sound goes away. I have already ordered parts but not sure if I need to go ahead and install everything or could wait a little longer for the squeak to be constant. Any thoughts on when and if it is a pilot bearing issue?

Thanks,
Dave

balboky01

Established Member
The pilot bearing would sqeak/tick the entire time if it was bad..sounds like your problem is the throwout bearing which is a very common problem....the pilot bearing is fixed and does not move and would not stop squeaking if you pressed the pedal unlike the throw out bearing which pushes the pressure plate when you press the pedal

Digital

Established Member
the pilot bearing would sqeak/tick the entire time if it was bad..sounds like your problem is the throwout bearing which is a very common problem....the pilot bearing is fixed and does not move and would not stop squeaking if you pressed the pedal unlike the throw out bearing which pushes the pressure plate when you press the pedal

+1

piss&vinegar

Seek and Destroy
Established Member
Another question - Pilot bearing - Remove/Replace Where to buy the tools to do this? What specific tool/manufacturer to buy from so that I get the correct one for the job? From what I can tell no special tool is needed for the throwout bearing. Any other special tools I would need for replacement of clutch, pilot and throwout bearing?

Thanks again!!

Jefe

Established Member
Thanks for the responses. So go ahead and replace or wait till it squeaks all the time?
If the trans is dropped already I would replace it. It kind of a PIA though just for that $100 part.

Im on my 2nd one and its already chirping every now and then too. Its been chirping for about 5 months now and still drives fine. If you want to wait im sure youll be fine just dont rip on the clutch too hard or it will get worse and eventually separate causing you more problems

Users who are viewing this thread